Splitting out iTunes library and iPhoto library.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Draddy, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Draddy macrumors regular

Hello all, obviously a new member. I spend most of my time o MacNN, but you guys seem to be more apt to answering questions over here..

Anyways, I went from having 3GB HD space on my Macbook Pro, to about 400 Free GB after aquireing several external drives.

Now... My biggest problem, I have a BUNCH of TV show episodes movies, and personal movies that I bought off of itunes that are taking up a HUGE amount of space...

as well as so many pictures that I don't need.

Now I want to put these less frequently used items on an external drive... how do I do that?

I have movies that I import myself on external drives, and that is where itunes looks for them, so it works great.

but is there a way to move files already in itunes to another source?

I know I could move the library, but I want to keep my music.

I thought about making a playlist of everything I want to move, copy them over to the new drive... delete the origional version, and then go through each individual file, try to play it, and then repoint itunes were to look.. but that would take FOREVER.

is there a better way to do this?

2. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

you could copy over the albums and movies to the location that you want them in on your external. Then delete them from itunes, then add them in again, making sure that you have unchecked copy files from your itunes preferences.

you would lose playcounts and ratings however.

this is what i do as my laptop cannot handle all the media i have.

3. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

But how do I do just some of it? specifically movies?

If I do that, how do I know exactly which one I moved?

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't have any movies in my iTunes, but i'd guess that this should work, since it does work for any track i've ever tried:

create a playlist of what you want to move.
    highlight whole playlist in itunes, and drag to your external drive. this should copy them there.
    delete from iTunes.
    re-add with new location.

should work. hardest part will be deleting them if they are scattered through your library, imo.

5. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

right the scattered problem would be irratating.

but the TV shows specifically are in a special playlist outside of the library, and if I delete them, and re-import them, there is no way to mark it as tv show, and it will just default and stay in my movies folder.