Splitting the dock?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qtip919, Jul 29, 2005.

1. qtip919 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to run more than one dock on your desktop...

What I would like to do is to have an "apps" doc on the lower left screen, and on the lower right, a "documents, pics, music, etc" doc on the right...

Furthermore, I would like to have a "system pref" item as an icon up on the top, which would be a dropdown menu ;)

2. supergod macrumors 6502

Damn... there is an app to have multiple docks but I can't for the life of me remember it's name. It was a couple of years ago so who knows if it's compatible with tiger. And I seem to remember it being ugly.

3. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Ok now that would be cool, I would love to be able to have a dock on the right, left, and bottom. Have them all auto hide, and have every app right there on the desktop. :D

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You could take a look at DockFun and see how that works for you.

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I like the way Next did it! (tabs in your dock) :cool:

6. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

A quick search brought up this one, but I have no idea of what is like. It is shareware, but only $5 to buy.
    I love google. :)

There is something else that's in the back of my head, but I can't remember it :mad:

::20ROGERSC::

EDIT:
    That's what I was thinking of!

7. qtip919 thread starter macrumors 6502

killer

this is what I love about the mac os x platform :)

8. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Well you can't actually per-se "split" the dock into two - The Mac OS X dock simply doesn't support it. A possible hack may be to coax two copies of Dock.app to run at the same time both using different preference files. Sounds like something a haxie could do.

In the mean time, however, you might want to consider using A-Dock for Mac OS X as your second dock:http://jerome.foucher.free.fr/ADockX/ADockX.html

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

While this won't give you two independent docks, it is possible to put a "blank" icon in your dock, giving the illusion of separate docks.