*SPOILERS* The Official I just saw Starwars Episode III thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by lordmac, May 19, 2005.

1. lordmac macrumors regular

Ok, so I just got back from seeing the 12:01 am showing of Starwars ROTS showing. I must say Lucas did a great job with it. I was worried after the not so good job he did with the episode 1 and 2. Now it wasn't perfect but it defiantly sucked you in and got the emotion and feelings of that characters across much more successfully then in episode 1 and 2. Plus seeing a huge army of wookies always makes a movie good, lol. :D :p. So what are your guy's thoughts on it.

2. Apple //e macrumors 6502

star wars

............is like britney spears.....and madonna......and u2........just cuz a bunch of ya like it doesnt make it good

star wars:awesome...for a 7 yr old
    e s b: even gooder..yes "gooder"
    jedi: sucks major *ss....ewoks? wtf?
    episode 1: way lame
    episode 2: please shoot me
    episode 3: why bother?

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But if you like it then its worth going....besides, making comments on something you haven't seen might be a little uninformed.

I liked - even though it was lacking in that going in you pretty much knew what was going to happen. Even with that it was the best of the first 3 by far. I'm looking forward to actually getting it on DVD some many months from now and looking at some of the details.

Anyone who's been disappointed by I and II should go and see this eventually - it might not make up for everything, but it certainly helps.

And I only spent 7.50 for my ticket - you need to lighten up a bit

D

4. mstecker macrumors 6502

It was great, go see it

I'm old enough to have seen all of the films in original release in the theatres. I'm happy to have stayed up 'till all hours to see EP III. Head and shoulders above EP I and II. There are about 10 seconds of painful dialogue moments, but other than that, it's fantastic. Go see it now.

5. Davito macrumors member

6. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

But it's not like some big corporation is shoving it down our throats........
    wait...

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I also think the complexity of the story was quite a nice change. Lots of action and tons of detail.

Not enough wookies, though. And what about that weird pastel mushroom planet? I liked that as visuals.

D

8. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Im going to wait for the crowds to settle down. so who showed up as a Star War's character. :D

9. bluemouse macrumors member

You can never have enough wookiees. Never. :)
    And mushroom planet was different. Wish we'd seen more.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So did anyone dress up? I wanted to go to the local opening to see what everyone was wearing (a sick habit I picked up from the LOTR days :D ) but I couldn't make it.

11. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I was thinking of dressing up as a wookie in a princess lea custome! Would that qualify for any award? LOL :p

I want to see this one on the big screen, it looks like it begs for it, I usually wait for the dvd.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Judging by your 'tar, that could end up being a bit disturbing. :D

Personally, I would have to be paid quite a lot to get dressed up at an opening night.

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Mention Spoilers please...

I am going to see the movie today but I was curious how many light saber battles are in the movie. How does the space battle in the beginning compare with the other movies? Does Yoda fight for very long in this movie? Any young Han Solo appearance? Bobo-Fett? Was it believable that Obi-wan can win his battle against such a powerful Sith? Does Leia even see her mom look sad like was mentioned in the prior series? And why didn't Yoda and Obi-wan train the kids to be Jedi's at a young age like they are suppose to. That part seems odd considering they were the last hope.

14. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

I stayed up for the mid night showing and must say it was quite worth it. Not only was the movie great (made up for how terrible E1 was [only see jar jar for 2 seconds in this one and it is at the very end]) but the atmosphere was nice too. nothing like seen a bunch of grown men dressed up as Jedi and saber fighting in the theater as the wait impatiently for the film to start.

anwyay, i liked it a lot. there are somethings they do not explain, such as why obi wan changes his name to Ben. the thing about force ghosts that was supposed to be explained wan't really. Yoda just tells Obi that Qui Gon will train the ability to him [obi won] when he is in hidding on Tattoine.

The soundtrack was great, and so where the special effects. People who like good action will appreciate the big Couresant battle scene at the start.

anywho, I recommend it to pretty much every body.

aethier

15. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

there are a good deal many, some worthy of mentioning is Palpatine vs. Yoda, and obviously Aniken vs. Obi, <-- is an incredible saber fight, very impressive

beats the crap out of them, hands down.

meh. not too long. it is well done, as it cuts between yoda palpatine, and aniken / obi. very nice scene. as to how long... long enough to give you the 'yoda rocks' factor

nope, but there is Chebacca

yes, you'll understand why when you see the movie

for about two seconds, as an infant. (if you are indeed reffering to Padme)

because, they do not want the emporer to know of their existance. i think it is in ROTJ, that they state "any off spring of aniken skywalker would be so powerfull...." if they were using the force, the emporer would have senced it, and would have been that much easier to wipe the remaining jedi out (obi, the skywalker children, yoda)

anyways enjoy the movie, it is great

aethier

16. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I walked out thinking, he's redeemed himself but also missed a great opportunity.

The film was so close to being great but was just let down by a few too many shoddy moments. There was no chemistry between Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman, I didn't really feel Anakin's internal conflict (he still came across as bratty but not as much as in the previous two films), Palaptine was a tad too comic at times and why ruin that great scene with the emergence of Darth Vader?!! They should have just left it at the heavy breathing as the mask is put on, there was no need for the clumsy robot walk and Rocky-esue cry of "Noooooo".

Overall a very good film but if you weren't a Star Wars fan before, it's not likely to win you over.

17. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

you have your two legs cought off, your only remaing organic hand cought off, burn in fire etc. then get up and try to walk and tell me you would be able to not be 'clumsy'. there is also another reason for that.

i believe it is there that he realizes that the emperor betrayed him. when palpatine asks if he is all right, the first words to come out of vaders mouth was something like 'is padme save' palpatine says that is was vader who killed her in his anger (sort of true). now when that happens he is still locked on the table thing. he uses some force power to break random room objects and get free. i believe that his plan was to kill palpatine.

(as we know he wanted since E5, and when padme confronts him, he tells her of his plans to overthrow the emperor and rule the galaxy on his own.)

however when he stumbles around he finds out that he has lost alot of his power, and can no longer kill the emperor and his own. (well that is what a make of the short cut to the smirck palpatine made when vader stumbles around, i imagine that through the force he know of vader's desire)

anyways, time to go write my english final, after having a whole 1.3 hours of sleep (thanks a lot george)

18. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You misunderstand, I don't expect him to do the jig. I understand what the scene was trying to express but am merely commenting that it wasn't done well. I felt it was too farcical.

19. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

LMAO :D

20. lordmac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to who ever the mod was that edited my threaded title and put a spoiler warning in it. I should have done that my self, but i think i have a good excuse as i wrote the thread at 3:30 in the morning so my mental power wasn't exactly at full force.

Also Bluemouse I totally agree with you, you can never have enough wookies. lol at the beginning of the previews there was a pepsi ad that had the silhouette of a vaguely wookie like appearance and the whole theater went "CHEWBACCA!" and then everyone get sad/mad when it turned out to be a rather lame pepsi ad. What i really liked about this episode is the ongoing fighting in little burst rather one or 2 big fights like in the other movies. Also the droids seemed to have much personality in this one then in the others, which was interesting to see. They were obviously meant to be much of the comic relief in the movie, which was nice as it beat episode one comic relief of using a rather retarded gungen (sp?). Just my thoughts anyways. :)

21. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Definitely better than 1&2. No question. Tied in aspects that I had forgotten about, like Luke's surrogate parents. I had always been a bit confused by how Luke could've stayed hidden, being a son and all.

22. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Darth Rocky

I agree. After watching three hours of a great film it is like you are suddenly watching an old B-movie. Having said that, nothing is perfect and these short lapses of judgement by the film-makers were overshadowed by all that was right about this film. What I liked best about it was that the plot was easier to follow compared to the first two episodes. Needless to say the special FX were something special and overall the design of everything from costumes to space-ships was a success. The best actor was Ewan McGregor because he made me believe that this was a young Ben Kinobi. The saddest scene was the one where the Jedi are betrayed by the clone army and Lord Vader, the youngling-killing scum. Too bad Kinobi did not finish the job when he had the chance.

Better than Episodes 1 & 2? Definately. I would even say that this episode was better than 4 & 6.

23. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I went at midnight just as I did for the first 2...I friggin loved it!

And now thinking back on it, I think it is growing on me even more.

As stated previously in the thread, there were a couple of parts of painful dialogue, but that in no way brings the movie down at all.

I look forward to seeing it again shortly.

24. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Shortest review...:

Sweet.*

* Except for Hayden Christensen's and Natalie Portman's dialogue and chemistry, which still sucked. Ewan McGregor, Samuel L. Jackson, and Ian McDiarmid all REALLY shone. Glad to see that SLJ got his wish NOT to go down like some punk. Yoda was awesome. Special FX were un-freakin'-believable. Light saber duels were incredible, in length AND number.

Oh, and I loved the bit where Order 66 was given. It was just chilling to see the clone troopers turn on the Jedi with no warning and no emotion... seeing them nod at each other before carrying out the order was really creepy.

25. jbembe macrumors 6502a

I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THIS MOVIE.

Stupidly I forgot to get tickest for last night beforehand and ended up driving around to all the theatres looking for tickets all to no avail. Alas, I have to see it today with the normal star wars attenders. Bah, civilians- I hope nobody minds me cheering. :D