Spontaneous crying triggered by a song....

Discussion in 'Community' started by Waluigi, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Whenever I hear the ending theme to Super Mario World, for some reason, I start to cry uncontrollably, and it brings back memories of all the sad things and deaths in my life. Does anyone else have a similar reaction to some song/movie/picture or something else?

--Waluigi

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I'm sorry to say this but you got problems:)

or is it me:)

3. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

i wouldn't necessarily say that. maybe when he was playing that game years ago someone close to him passed away, or something tragic happened, and now whenever he hears that music he gets flashbacks to that time period and it brings back bad memories, and one memory leads to another, and so on.

4. Ramsos macrumors regular

Ramsos

I know exactly what you mean when I hear a certain song it makes me think of my brother as it was played at his funeral.:(

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

For some reason, the song "Two Tear Drops" just pulls a dark cloud over my head. I began to cry while driving through Montana and had to stop for 25 minutes to get over it.

TEG

6. iGav macrumors G3

Me too, whenever I hear 'Sailing' by Christopher Cross or 'Africa' by Toto... it reminds me of my late father... it can really choke me up if I'm feeling low. :(

I'm surrounded by music almost all of the time when I'm awake, and I frequently fall asleep with music playing softly in the background, so the songs provide me with a soundtrack to nearly everything that happens in my life, whether happy or sad.... good and bad... inevitably when you hear those songs later, of course they can evoke emotional feelings, music is after all one of the most emotional and evocative forms of communication.

G

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

There are songs that bring tears to my eyes also. I happen to be the sensitive type. I can empathize easily!

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I know some people who cry when they hear the song that goes
    '
    as we go on,
    we remember,
    all the times we,
    spent together,
    and as our lives change,
    '
    blah blah blah

I forgot the rest.

But I know some people that cry when they hear that song.

Personally there are no songs that make me cry.

scem0

9. insidedanshead macrumors regular

Radiohead - How I Made My Millions

I say no more.

10. iGav macrumors G3

I guarantee there's some trash in the UK charts that would brings tears to your eyes.... heh-heh!! :p :p :p

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Well, there are songs that do bring tears of disguist to my eyes like:

50 cent - 21 questions
    Chingy - Righ Thurr
    Nelly, P.Diddy, and Murphy Lee - Shake your tailfeather
    and
    any Eminem song ;)

scem0

12. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I always cry at "Dead Skunk" by Loudon Wainwright. That poor skunk! and the smell! :D But then again that might be a conditioned chemical response.

13. iGav macrumors G3

you listen to our charts, and not only will tears be forming in your eyes.... you'll have blood flowing out of your ears as well!! heh-heh!! :p :p

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have memories attached to don henley's song, "heart of the matter"

though i don't have any personal attachment to the beatles song, "elanor rigby", i find it very haunting

and i was going through a lot in my life when the depeche mode song "enjoy the silence" came out and that song holds a special power when i hear it

15. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Actually, there's one called "The Rocks and the Water" by Mark Nofler for Local Hero.
    Found the CD amongst others and that track made me feel like I was being taken out of reality...

That's pretty much it, not crying but weird feelings...

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I cannot bear to listen to anything from the band Chicago, esp. the stuff from the early 80's. It takes me back to a defining time of my life that, while it doesn't bother me at the fact it happened, really depresses me.

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Download that Chingy song and you'll get a taste of what I have to go through.

I could not think of a more annoying chorus to a song.

And 98% of the people at my High School can't get enough of that song! I swear - Teenage Americans can be insane.

scem0

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

haha, scem not a rap fan eh. i like them but we all have our own opinions. by the way, that song you were talking about earlier was graduation by vitamin c. that song got played out way to much and it drove me crazy. im glad she isnt famous anymore.

iJon

19. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

I've never had a song that consistently made me cry, but there is music that has brought tears to my eyes, sometimes for weird reasons.

Two songs I can think of that have been known to elicit a somber mood though are "Something I Can Never Have" by NIN and "The Great Below" also by NIN. The guy who got me into NIN about ten years ago called "Something I Can Never Have" the mother of all songs when I first heard it, so it makes me think of him sometimes, and not myself.

As for "The Great Below"...well, I've gotten over it. Still love the song. The whole album is a masterpiece of emotional manipulation.

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm not a rap fan but I think Jay Z is really talented, and I am a big missy elliot fan :D.

She is in a whole nother tier of music. ;)

But I can't stand the rappers like Ja Rule, Ludacris, Chingy, 50 cent, eminem, P.Diddy, Nelly, Murphy Lee, etc, etc, etc.

scem0

21. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah i i know what you mean. lately i have been listening to lots of lil flip, i like 50, only cd i bought on the itms. i have also been listening to some pharrel.

iJon

22. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

That is a great song ;) I like DH's album, the one where he poses as a used car dealer...great cd ;) :p

Clocks, by Coldplay is an emotional song for me...I dunno why

23. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys - "God Only Knows"

it's such an unbelievably good song, it get's tears in my eyes...

vSpacken

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

25. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

You mean like Gareth Gates? That guy makes my skin crawl. That and he takes it upon himslef to butcher classics by putting a "humorous modern twist" on them.

Ack.