Spoof Ethernet MAC Address?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pspiegel, Jul 25, 2006.

1. pspiegel macrumors member

Jul 25, 2006

I was wondering if there was a utility out there to spoof my MBP's ethernet MAC address to something that I predetermine? I am trying to register an airport on a business network that makes you go to a website to "register" your MAC address, but won't work to register the airport itself. I was hoping that by spoofing my Macbook's MAC address to the airport's, it would then prompt me to register that MAC address and then work on the Airport as well.

I know there is a program to do this to spoof my Airport's MAC address, but was curious if there is a way to do this via ethernet? I know you can via terminal, but I am not savvy with that, so any help would be appreciated!

2. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    From wikipedia:

Under Mac OS X, the MAC address can be altered in a fashion similar to the Linux and FreeBSD methods:

ifconfig en0 lladdr 02:01:02:03:04:05

ifconfig en0 ether 02:01:02:03:04:05

Type these commands in a terminal window, and replace the numbers in the example with the numbers you want to use. And remember that this works only for your ethernet port.
  3. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Be sure to make a note of the existing address before changing it :)
  4. mattjgalloway macrumors member

May 21, 2006
    If you don't make a note then it's ok as the MAC addresses are on the serial number sticker which came with the box, and also after a reset it *should* reset the MAC address to the original. A MAC address is hard coded into the card - and it *shouldn't* be possible to spoof anyway! The whole MAC layer in the TCP/IP protocol stack is based around the MAC address being unique to each device! Ah well!