Spoof Macbook lid closed.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mcmuffy, Mar 1, 2007.

1. mcmuffy macrumors newbie

Hi.

I have a macbook with an external monitor. Usually I run in dual screen mode with the external as my main, but due to some creative wiring and a cluttered desk it can be a pain to shut the macs lid when I want to use only the external monitor.
    Is it possible to trick the mac, through applescript or something, into thinking the lid is closed and turn off the laptop monitor?
    I have posed here as I am not sure if this would count as an OS or a hardware question so please move if needed.

Cheers
    Ray

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I know you can do this in Windows, since that's exactly the setup I use at work (lid closed on laptop, using an external display). However, you got me there... I'm a programmer, and I haven't the foggiest idea how to do that :confused:

3. colocolo macrumors 6502

How about turning the screen brightness all the way down? does that affect the external monitor?

4. Arne macrumors regular

no it doesn't. You have to set the external monitor as the main monitor (drag the menubar (not the real one, I mean the representative) to the other screen in arrangements). Otherwise you do not have access to the dock and the menubar on your external screen

5. colocolo macrumors 6502

I would presume he is trying to mirror the screen, not add a second monitor. If not, turning off one screen could become uncomfortable :)

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

there should be a small magnet in the lid or the case that detects if the lid is closed. maybe a small fridge magnet can do the trick?

i wonder how clutterd your desk looks like if you can't even close the lid of a notebook. pics please! ;)

7. VortexOfPain macrumors member

Well, I can't say that I know how to turn off your internal display with the lid open... but hooking up an external monitor, turn in video mirroring, and turning the brightness all the way down accomplishes the same thing, right? You also have the option of a few quick keystroke to instantly add workspace (F7 key to toggle extended desktop, then turn up brightness)