Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Hi everyone,

With my iPhone 6S, I've come across a rather random, sporadic audio glitch related to audio playback and Bluetooth, from what I can tell. I use a Bluetooth FM transmitter device in my car to stream music to my car stereo, and most of the time, it works fine. When I get home or to work, I pause playback, turn off the car and then some time later, I'll usually plug headphones in to continue to listening to music -- using Spotify or Google Play Music, etc. Now, occasionally, when I go to play some form of audio after disconnecting from a Bluetooth connection, the phone will be emitting a constant buzzing sound as the audio output rather than the music. Music will not play, ringtone sounds will not play, HOWEVER, keyboard click sounds work and sound normal (does not behave like this). The only way to get the buzzing audio to stop is to restart the phone.

I can't make this glitch/issue happen on-command. I've visited a Genius Bar, and they ran diagnostics on my phone and found no hardware issues, so it's leading me to believe this is software-related. I thought it might be Spotify-related at first, but it's happened with other audio/music apps, so that's out. It's also not related specifically to my Bluetooth device in my car as it happened again with another car with factory-included Bluetooth connectivity.

I'm guessing there's some bug related to iOS 9 and media/audio source switching between hardware? Or something along those lines? Has anyone else experienced this?

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I came looking for exactly this problem. I have experienced it a couple of times in my car where I use Bluetooth to connect to a Tune2Air device. I have the problem when using TomTom and streaming music. Sometimes I just get silence instead.

A hard reboot of the phone sometimes resolves the problem, but not always.

I am using a 6S 128GB running 9.1(13B143).

trombo22

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
This happened to me couple weeks ago, did a hard reset and has been good since.

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Ok, it happened again this morning. A quick soft restart stopped the buzzing. I just did a hard reset now to see if it prevents future occurrences.

uhaas

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Boston, MA
I get this over Bluetooth when starting a Cisco Jabber call rather consistently. I don't get it with any other device. I was waiting to see if 9.2 fixed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.