Spore: Do YOU know about it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Xander562, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Ok, my brother just told me about this game called Spore, it's from the same people who made The Sims and its really awesome.

Look at the link to watch some demonstrational videos
    Linky

Linky 2

Ok so here's the thing. This game is a Life Sim where you control beings from the cellular level, all the way up to multi-celled intelligent organisms with the capability of space travel, (if you watch the videos you'll know what i'm talking about)

What i heard was that there are no pre-loaded animations in this game, just algorithms that the computer uses to determine how the organism should walk/swim/slither etc. Watch the videos, they are AMAZING!

i Am totally psyched up for this game now.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

wow i was wondering what that game was about, thanks for the preview. I am very impressed with the alggorithim thing.

-Matthew

4. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

OMG I just watched the preview it looks amazing!!!! I cant wait to get that game.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

My friend told me about the game, it looks very cool but is it PC only? or can one buy it for the Mac, Wii/GamCube, PS2/3 or xBox 360

6. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

Wii and possiblly others

http://wii.ign.com/articles/724/724539p1.html

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Am I really the only person who thinks that this is very old news?

8. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

It's old, but obviously not everyone has seen it... and the multiple platforms part is new.

From EA, after Will Wright said Spore will be on multiple platforms:

Kotaku

9. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Finding out I can fling innocent creatures into orbit using the abduction ray in Spore is news to me.

Spore ROCKS!

10. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Unless consoles have the same "internet" that PCs have a console version of Spore would be lackluster...

Half the appeal of this game is the sheer SIZE of it.

being able to, whenever you want or not at all, send your "creations" and planets and whatnot to a main server that your client and everyone elses can acccess to populate their universe.

this game is a UNIVERSE sized game, infinite possible sizes and creations, on a console you would be severely limited by only using the console makers internet....

But nonetheless this game is mine on day one.

12. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Um, no. EVO was cool, sorta, but Ive played it and seen the Spore video and they are just not even close.....well wait, yes they are, you buy "parts" for your creature to evolve etc etc, and you get "money" from eating other creatures. So i guess in a small sense, EVO was a precursor to this idea of a game that lets you make your own creature, but this is to the Nth power!

EVO was fun until you chose the wrong evolution path and never got to become a human being, I got be a mermaid though!

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No, sorry. Since The Sims it's all gone downhill. Sim City 4 became "The Sims"-ish. Which is why I still play Sim City 3000.

If it's nothing like The Sims. no stupid voices, no "timesplitters" style characters and a return to the jazz that was Sim City 3000. then Woo. and yes I know it's nothing like The Sims, I'm talking a general gameplay and art direction style.

14. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I second that. The interface can be damned annoying sometimes too. Another thing that ticks me off about certain games, when keys aren't bound to menus. So, ESC won't clear a menu! Dreamfall is like this - it's infuriating! I played about 1 hour of Dreamfall and haven't touched it since...so sad...bring back Cyan!

15. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

I'm really praying Will Wright was smart enough to contact TransGaming Technologies.

If this game would come out for the Mac (especially on the same day it comes out for the PC) I'd die.

Then I'd resurrect myself and buy it. :D

16. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

I had that thought too for a second. But then I realized that Transgaming might not be able to do much for Spore. I'm not entirely sure how Cider works, but Spore is incredibly complex, much more so than most other games out there. I don't know if Cider will cut it.