Spore: Ultimate evolution game?

Discussion in 'Games' started by srobert, Mar 13, 2006.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

It's being designed by the guy who created "The Sims" and "Sim City".

Looks very clever. You start with a bacteria and then evolves up to some sort of galactic god. You got to see the video to understand: Link

And here is a gamespy article: Link

Nothing seems pre-rendered. You little critters behave differently depending on how you shape them. Makes for nearly infinite possibilities.

Even the game-play evolves. It goes to 2d, to 3d, to 1st person "eater", to real time strategy to city building.

I like the fact that the world will be seeded with other players' creatures (and items, buildings and vehicles later in the game).

I couldn't find a release date. It's a PC game but will probably be ported to the Mac since other similar games have all been ported.

_

Attached Files:

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Yep, it's been mentioned here a couple of times before – but it looks to be a very, very interesting title. Hopefully it'll make its way over to the Mac – as it's from the same people who gave us The Sims and Sim City (some of the most popular Mac games going) I reckon it's a given we'll see a port so long as the hardware is up to it.

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

i heard about this afew months ago, very cool concept for those who like that style of gameplay but are board with retarded expansion packs of The Sims. Feh :p Anyone know when it is supposed to be released?

4. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Wow - this looks interesting. It could be slightly addictive if it's as good as I imagine it. :eek:

5. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I just pray to god it runs smei-decently on my ibook or I wll HAVE to upgrade.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

The video is a LOT more interesting than the screenshots! Looks good, even if the run through the developer gave might have given the wrong impression that it's something you could "finish" in a day - though I suspect it's the kind of game you never really finish.

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Looks like it might be fun to play, and the technology is awesome.

8. stutz macrumors member

I'm venturing that this COULD be the greatest game ever!

The concept is so big and all encompassing that it redefines whole games genres like real time strategy and simulation games. Spore has the potential to be absolutely incredible, but it's tough to tell whether it can deliver on promise. This is a game that could get way too complicated and messy really quick, taking away from the fun factor of playing God in an evolutionary style galactic sim. The multiplayer could make WoW seem quaint, but we'll have to wait until late this year to see if Spore can grab the brass ring.

9. KafkaWasRight macrumors newbie

Will Wright is the man...
    I'm glad this game is getting so much renewed attention. It sorta dropped off the radar after it was first announced. I'm just really hoping we'll be playing it on our Macs by the end of the year.

10. dralfonzo macrumors newbie

yeah i saw the video for this a while back, it looks really really good. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger, like when you get the UFO's and can go to other planets, then to other galaxies etc etc

look forward to its release, although i think it'll be quite a while until its out on mac :(

11. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

I got to talk to one of the technical directors and he pretty much said "it'll be done when it's done". Will Wright has the power to work all of the littlest details out, so when it does finally get released, it'll be a very polished game.

12. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Smacks of Black & White but to the nth degree.

This, and Peter Molyneaux (sp?) works will both stand the test of time.,

Black and White (1) i still play.

13. trogdor! macrumors regular

Yah, I thought this game looks really cool. It has lots of options and you can basicly take it anywhere you want it to. I hope when it does come out, it doesnt require too high of system requirements cause i might actualy be interested in that one and I don't even play games that often.

14. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

I read somewhere that they only expect to release the PC version in 2007, so it could be long wait for the mac version.

15. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

It definitely will not be released in 2006, and like DreaminDirector said, "it'll be done when it's done".

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Looks like this game is going to do the rounds. This interview with Will Wright confirms spore for the Nintendo DS and the Sony PSP. Not too sure about it being available for phones though......

17. Tel macrumors regular

I personally think this could be the best game ever so far. As long as it loves up to expectations.

Either way I think its a huge innovation and will help push game to even further extremes. If this doesn't come out on Mac, it looks like I may be purchasing a PC someday soon :eek:

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

as it is right now, possibly a year from completion, it LOOKS FRIGGEN AWESOME!

If this is released at the correct time, it could possibly be the #1 game of all time.

Think about it.

A year from now when people are soooo bored with FPS and pretty much the total obnoxious crap that has been video gaming for a long while, the people will realize that GAMES should be FUN, and not just cool too look at or playable once and thrown away.

Replayability is #1 in my book, and this game looks like it could take a month to get to the "end" where it is finally truly OPEN-ENDED and bigger than you could ever imagine. This is bigger than the Sims, and appeals to those type of people, and pretty much anyone.

Creativity and personal preferences that can be seen in games let them go a long long way in peoples minds. This game captures that essence and makes it the core of the game, a personal experience.

Since the game works off of "verbs" and algorithms, I would think the only thing this game requires is a nice graphix card, the math behind the scenes looks complex in the game, but logically is very very simple to computer. So when it finally is released todays computers (with updated graphix) would probably be able to play it.

Unlike DOOM 3, which was an excericse in new types of graphix tech, and not a very fun game, and it has 0% replayability. But it looked nice. Oh wait, looking nice isnt fun. :rolleyes:

19. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

This is really awsome no matter how much it bugs me to have to wait. They just flat out say it we'll finish it when we finish it. It looks like poetentially the most amazing game ever. It has a bit of like every game i like to play except for fps but im ok with that, i hope they add space battles that would be chill.

20. ibidiem macrumors member