Sport in New York and New Jersey?

Discussion in 'Community' started by dobbin, Apr 1, 2005.

1. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I'm visiting America in June. I'd really like to watch some sport while I'm there - either (american) Football, Ice Hockey or Baseball. I've never seen any of these, but I love watching any sport. My favourite is rugby (see my sig) but I've also enjoy football (soccer), cricket, athletics, tennis, and any sport really!
    I'm not totally sure which sports are played in which seasons in the USA but I think June would be baseball only - is that right? I'd like to watch something at the highest level possible but I don't know which leagues are which :confused:

I'm going to be in New york City from 1-5 June and then in Point Pleasant Beach NJ from 6-13 June. I'm going to a wedding so I can't do anything on 11/12 June.

So far I have found out that there is a New York Mets game vs SF Giants in New York while I'm there. Can anyone tell me more about this? Is that a big match? Does it matter which day I go on? Or is there something better I could go to somewhere else?

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Well, although the NFL training camps will have started by then, you're not going to be able to find one of those in NY. If you havn't heard, hockey (NHL) basically got cancelled forever. Baseball is going to be your only bet. You're in luck, because NYC has two teams (the mets and the yankee's). Yankee stadium is in the bronx while Shea stadium is uptown. Better start looking for tickets now if you want Yankee ones, they sell out fast.

-ben

3. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

Actually Shea Stadium is in Flushing , Queens on the #7 line(Train)

The Term "Uptown" in NYC is usually reserved for the north part of manhattan (Harlem , Inwood , Washington Heights).

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

being a native New Yorker see a yankee game, there is nuthing like going to a yankee game and watchin the grounds crew do the YMCA :rolleyes:
    There is something about the history of the park. Also check out madison square garden, do the tour, its pretty cool. I think the WNBA starts in the summer if i'm not mistaken; correct me if i'm wrong (if so at least u can say u saw a game at madison square garden)

5. dobbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Thanks for your advice guys. The Yankees are playing away the weekend I'm there, so I might try to go to the Mets match.
    But more likely I will go and watch the womens basketball at Madison Square Garden as my hotel is right opposite and very close to Mad Sq Garden. I can save the Yankees for my next visit (I hope I can go back...)
    Is the WNBA good? I must admit that I never even thought about watching womens sport but I guess it could be quite good actually.
    Thanks again.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The WNBA is not as fast a game as the NBA, you wont see any dunks but a lot of lay ups. If you have ever watched women's college basketball that is more of the speed of the WNBA.

7. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

they should build an up-to-date replica of Ebbet's Field and bring the Dodgers back to Brooklyn...

vSpacken

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Fair trade, Dodgers for the Mets. :p