"Sports" to eliminate in the future Olympics

Discussion in 'Community' started by goodwill, Aug 26, 2004.

1. goodwill macrumors regular

I was watching that rhythmic gynastics business on NBC this evening, this after watching Brazil suffer defeat to the U.S Women's soccer team. Then followed by the men's triathlon. The coolest, but I think needs to go, Table Tennis, was nowhere to be found on the t.v schedule. This then lead me to then think, you can win a gold medal for table tennis.

Rumor has it that Wharton School of Business at UPenn "automatically" accepts graduate students who have:

1- Won a gold medal

2- Are a Navy Seal

3. Won a gold medal for table tennis

Don't get me wrong, I bite at table tennis, but considering the Olympics are back in the origin country, I wonder if Zeus and Aphrodite chuckle about the events that are a stretch to be considered "summer games" Is anyone with me on this? I enjoy the Olympics and I respect any person who is blessed with an incredible skill, but I do question the saturation of events that are now part of the Olympic games. I mean Badmiton very well might be the greatest entertainment of these Olympic games for me, but does it qualify on the same stage as Track & Field, Soccer, Gymnastics (not Rhythm), Swimming etc. I realize these are the more "popular" events, but they are also the events that demand physical and mental strenghts being tested for weaknesses. I also respect skaters and bikers, but for the Olympics to even consider modernizing to add x-treme sports to the Olympics is breaking the tradition and respect for the "games" every four years. I thought the addition of the Tri-athlon was a fantastic addition. This is only the second Olympics that the event has been part of the Olympics. This is just my opinion, but I was curious as to others perspectives in a respectful manner. If you agree then I'd love to know, if you disagree, help broaden my initial perspective- Mia Hamm is fine.

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I know what you mean. I find it odd that we need beach volleyball in addition to regular volleyball. I know they're a little different, but it's all volleyball at heart. ;)

3. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I think we need to keep beach volleyball. But I'm a guy, so take that for what you will. :D

I can see badminton being an olympic sport. It requires incredible coordination and reflexes--most badminton players can serve at 120 mph. Same for table tennis (without the 120 mph serves). Both are sports that emphasize finesse and coordination over raw strength--I think that's why they seem to be less of a fit for the games.

I do think it's ludicrous that some folks are trying to get bridge and poker recognized as an Olympic sport. :rolleyes:

*cruises the Internet for a picture of Misty May tackling Kerri Walsh after their match* :p

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

vollyball needs to go, as does target shooting with freakin' air rifles!

5. aus_dave macrumors regular

Synchronised swimming can go - no-one watches it either (live or on TV).

Tennis should be out too, and I'm a bit ambivalent about most of the team sports. In a perfect world I would only have individual sports that require athletic prowess - air rifle target shooting is borderline :D.

6. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Kill off all judged sports - cus as we keep seeing - the judging is flawed or just corrupt.

Kill off - football (soccer), tennis and basketball because these are all truely professional sports that receive enough coverage on TV as it is. I suspect that these sports are there to boost viewing figures.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There are so many sports that shouldn't be in the Olympics, its ridiculous.

Rifle shooting?

Walking? Hilarious to watch guys walk like they have 2 wooden legs, but it shouldn't be a sport. Its walking. The ancient Greeks would be ashamed if they knew that this was now a sport.

Handball: I stopped playing that when I stopped playing in schoolyards.

Beach Volleyball: its only in the Olympics because America wanted it to be, but why? Was regular Volleyball much different other than being indoors?

Poker: Not yet a sport, and I hope it stays that way.

Basketball: I love basketball, but should it be featured at the Olympics? No.

Table Tennis: Am I impressed by their coordination? Yes, but should it be in the Olympics? Not unless handball is also worthy, which it isn't.

Half the swimming events: Why are there so many different swimming events? Just make 3 or so swimming events for men, and 3 for women. Do we really need both a 100 m and 150 m swimming tourney?

Field Hockey: No.

Actually, most team sports shouldn't be a part of it. Its a test of individual strength and stamina. Wow....you can be synchronously dive with another person. Impressive? Yes, but it really isn't Olympics worthy.

Weightlifting: Most of the weightlifting classes should be eliminated. Just get the group of men who can lift the most weight over their head. I don't care if they only weigh 56kg!! Am I impressed by their lifting ability? Of course I am. However, I only care about the person who can lift the most weight, period. This is regardless of age, size, weight, height.

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I think it should be. It was in keeping with the original theme of the sports.

Maybe if they were to make it a 60 km event with a 50 kg pack.

I agree it should be out but regular volleyball should be as well. There are substantial differences between the two especially in terms of strategy. There was one segment in the women's beach volley ball where the volleyed 4 times and they said it was almost unheard of. Normal volleyball thats par for the course.

yes
    I would be interested to see what you get after 20 years of that philosophy. I am not saying its good bad or indifferent, but the athletes you develop reflect the rules.

Now for general overriding theory.

The olympics were originally military type events. Shooting, running, throwing, swimming. It was a way for the ancient greeks to show off militarily without going to war. I agree. Nothing judged by anything more subjective than a stop watch, and nothing that involves teams.

9. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Sports to add: Snooker, Golf, Darts, Caber Tossing and Morris Dancing.

If we had these then the UK might do quite a bit better than usual :)

10. kanker macrumors 6502

Yeah, soccer definitely has to go. Any 'game' where time can be added at the end because the officials don't know how to stop a clock is not a sport (do-overs?, a mulligan? what's up with this junk - I just don't understand the logic behind 'extra time'). Any game where a championship or a gold medal can be decided by penalty kicks instead of actual offensive and defensive play is not a sport.

11. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Kill off all judged events.
    Kill off all team events (except for relays).
    Kill off all events that need "modern" devices. (guns, bikes, etc.)

End up with track and field, swimming, maybe weight lifting.
    Focus on decathlons, triathlons.

Get back to the heart of it all.
    Put the athlete back in athletic events.

Oh yeah, and everybody should be naked. - j

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the olympic soccer cup has either to go or has to get more attractive ... i'm for the 'go'

about table tennis: i don't see it being very wrong ...

13. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Don't worry the discussions about penalties has raged on for many years in the rest of the world. There is a great deal of psychology too penalties but I agree with you, they should not be in the game to decide things. The match should keep going after full time until someone scores - then finish. This might help the horrible Italian game.

And still throw it out of the Olympics.

And jayscheuerle - No problem with naked, until it comes to the shot-put, there are probably others I don't want to see but the shot springs to mind.

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

and don't forget that it would help the english team _a lot_
    i think adding soem sort of "next goal = winner" would be fitting ...and they would have to play until the next goal is scored :p just like in school

15. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

one of the best ads I ever saw was a magazine ad.

it featured a black and white picture of syncronized swimmers emerging from the water and on the gray background of the water, in white a minimalist sentence along saying:

"add sharks, and then maybe you can call it a sport"

(or something like that)

at the bottom of the page, not particularly evident, was the product, which if I remember correctly was chivas regal

absolutely great.

(i googled a bit to find an image but failed miserably)

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

more on topic,
    I think the olympics are bloated and the total medal count should be greatly reduced:

sports to go altogether:

sport in which the value depend on artistic/subjective values, such as:
    sync swimming,
    sync diving,
    gymn rythmic,
    trampoline (!)
    dressage
    I would keep regular gymnastics, but only assign two golds per gender
    (team and individual overall)

to be reduced at most three-four titles (light, medium, heavy)
    boxing
    wrestling
    judo
    taekwando
    shooting (one rifle on target, one pistol on target, skeet)
    cycling (points, speed, pursuit)
    canoa/kajak (K1, k2, k4 + k1-slalom)
    rowing (4 cats here: 1, 2, 4, 8)

half the swimming medals (not sure what to keep/eliminate)

eliminate gender separation in;
    sailing (with exception of windsurfing)
    all shooting

eliminate mixed doubles in badminton

keep all the team sports and bring back the tug of war! ;)

17. goodwill thread starter macrumors regular

yea i agree with each of you- and i completely appreciate the fact that i totally forgot about psynchronized swimming, handball, the 900 gymnastic events, there are so many gymnastic events that I am honestly confused. I thought the gymnastics had ended, but theyve been going on for 3 weeks now. I also have to say that the walking needs to be banished altogether. I think the walking event sums up my whole beef that made me start this thread. The fact that there is walking and you can get a medal for it blows my mind. Running a marathon for gold.........yes. Walking for gold.........no.

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Why are there synchronized swimming and diving events? Why not synchronized versions of other sports, e.g., weightlifting, high jumping, shotputting, trampoline, etc.? I think the answer is that none of them are worthy.

I have a friend who did synchronized swimming and went to meets, so I know it takes skill, practice, and an amazing ability to hold your breath. But that doesn't stop me from thinking that synchronized performances are more like the Circ Du Solei or the Ice Capades than like an Olympic sport.

P. S. Anybody remember Martin Short and Harry Shearer's skit about synchronized swimming?

19. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

But guys, what are the games about?
    Are they about the original games, where the greeks gathered to show off military skills? Are they about nations across the globe coming together to compete?

Personally there are a lot of events, like walking, that I would like to see go. But there are many events that require incredible eye-hand coordination, reflexes, and incredible lighting fast thinking, adapting and strategy. There are a few Gymnastics events that don't take an amazing amount of strength, but the feats they accomplish are amazing to behold. The divers and their ability to make those backflip-twists and yet enter the water perfectly vertical without a splash.

I believe Table tennis is another. Sure you might be able to beat them arm wrestling, but those reflexes are amazing. They are trained to see an incoming object, fired no more than 10 feet away sometimes, something as small as a golf ball, and then return to an incredibly small area. I'd have a hard time just keeping from getting HIT by the ball.

And while I don't believe BMX biking should make it, some form of Mountain biking should. It's the modern day equivalent to horse back riding. Those guys use so much more than just leg strength. You must have upper body, eye sight, reflexes and the timing required to break, slide, clear, and lift you bike over things all while going though a trail 2 feet wide and at 25mph.

Personally, Anything that requires strength, reflexes, hand-eye coordination, and some amount of planning/timing should be allowed in the games.

To the human body, there really isn't any difference between table tennis and Fencing. Should Fencing be thrown out just because they aren't incredibly strong?

I applaud the addition of new games to test a human ability to adapt. To amaze us all in what they can do with the mind and body.

Tyler
    Earendil

20. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Whats wrong with rifle shooting? I think its more of a sport than some of them out there.
    Of course I might be a little bias because I was on my high school team that practiced in the basement.

21. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

In the spirit of the original games, I suggest a new event to replace everything.

Give everything a shield, dress them in spandex, and put everyone from every nation in an arena. Lastly, give everyone a tazer. Last man standing wins.

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

you are so right on this one that even the IOC agrees and, in fact, have included this event since Atlanta '96

i mostly agree here too, but some of the sport present belong more to a talent show (in my opinions), and for others there are just too many categories. why do we need to assign 7 judo golds? shouldn't then we have 7 categories also (for example) for high jump (based on height) or for discus throwing?

On the other hand i would definitively favour additional, selected new sports such as rock-climbing and rugby, in-line skating (speed and slalom), and maybe add horse racing to the equestrian event
    what would you guys add?

23. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Admittedly, I only saw parts of the olympics but wasn't the Beach volleyball 2 on 2 and the indoor a regular team?

24. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

yes, i don't get why so many people are so much against beach volley (just do NOT have RULES on what the players MUST (not) wear, please)
    i find it quite entertaining

an interesting take on the subject link

25. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

<devil's advocate>So why do we need the 100m freestyle and the 100m breaststroke? It's all swimming at heart.

Why have all the different springboard and platform diving events? It's all diving at heart.

Why do we need the 100m, 200m and 400m sprints - it's all running?</devil's advocate>

Sorry, as a volleyball player I can assure you there are huge differences between indoor and beach and going down the road of "it's all the same thing" leads us to an Olympics with only a handful of events - then again, we might actually get decent coverage. ;) :p