Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JJayguy23

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
Well, this is disconcerting. I don't even know where to begin. And yes, I too saw about 250GB had been written by Spotify! Now that I think about it, I believe I've had this issue for months (but didn't realize it was chronic)! That is so unacceptable for any app, but absolutely preposterous for such a seemingly lightweight streaming application! I immediately updated, but who knows how long this issue has been going on... Poor SSD, sorry for Spotify's foolishness.

Spotify needs to do more than issue an update.... they may have caused irreparable damage to our machines.... I almost feel like they should offer to replace any prematurely failing SSDs! I smell a class action lawsuit coming....
[doublepost=1479034563][/doublepost]Also, I found a thread on Apple forums about an application to check SSD status.

Xpost from Apple Forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4993862?tstart=0

I advise you to check out DriveDx: http://binaryfruit.com/drivedx . It shows SSD Lifetime Left indicator, overall health rating, important health indicators and many other useful information about SSD. With clean and user-friendly Mac-style interface. (HDDs are supported too)

Reactions: decafjava

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
I did some testing with this recently and get this. Even if you are playing music from your phone, if you have the Desktop app open it STILL writes out to disk.

The only remedy is to keep it closed.

strayts

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
I'm mostly an Apple Music user, and I have a fairly powerful Mac, so I never really noticed this in the rare times I've had Spotify open. However, I just tested it out by playing one song—only 2mb written throughout the whole song and into the next. I paused the music and let Spotify hang in the background for 20~ minutes. When I came back, it had written 1.2GB!!! What on earth for?

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
I have spinning disks, so I don't care. I don't have Spotify, so I don't care. But I do have iStat Menus and I've never seen macOS just sit there and do "nothing" with the disk drive.
Yeah, I see it doing "nothing" for maybe 5 seconds at a time at most. The OS has a lot going on.

Spotify has always seemed somewhat bloated to me the few times I used it. I also didn't like that it made itself a login item without telling me, like what Windows apps tend to do. But it's nice that they have an HTML-based player instead of forcing the standalone app.
[doublepost=1479084045][/doublepost]
it's not just Spotify, Chrome, Firefox and Edge all do something similar when you leave the browser running on your machine.
Wait what? Safari doesn't, and I don't think I've seen any other browsers do that.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 12.00.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-14 at 12.00.23 AM.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Yeah, I see it doing "nothing" for maybe 5 seconds at a time at most. The OS has a lot going on.

Spotify has always seemed somewhat bloated to me the few times I used it. I also didn't like that it made itself a login item without telling me, like what Windows apps tend to do. But it's nice that they have an HTML-based player instead of forcing the standalone app.
[doublepost=1479084045][/doublepost]
Wait what? Safari doesn't, and I don't think I've seen any other browsers do that.

I wonder what the world-cpu+ram equivalent is of
Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 12.55.04 AM.png

Reactions: sudo1996
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.