Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

spotifysoundcloud-250x216.jpg
Rumors last month suggested Apple Music rival Spotify was in advanced talks to acquire audio distribution platform SoundCloud, but it appears discussions have ended after Spotify pulled out of the deal.

According to TechCrunch, though months of talks took place, Spotify ultimately decided not to purchase SoundCloud because of worries the acquisition would negatively impact its impending IPO.
Spotify hasn't officially said it will go public in 2017, but there has been plenty of speculation, including a funding round with incentives tied to a listing. The source said Spotify went cold on SoundCloud because "it doesn't need an additional licensing headache in a potential IPO year."
SoundCloud, which allows users to upload, promote, and share audio recordings, would have allowed Spotify to add user-created content to its own music catalog, but Spotify would have needed to deal with licensing issues, something it did not want to do ahead of an IPO.

SoundCloud has upwards of 175 million total listeners a month, while Spotify has 40 million paying subscribers. Apple Music, Spotify's main competitor, has been gaining subscribers steadily and as of December 2016, boasts 20 million subscribers.

Article Link: Spotify Won't Be Purchasing SoundCloud After All

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Comparing SoundCloud's monthly listeners to Spotify's and Apple Music's paid subscribers doesn't seem right.

Isn't SoundCloud ad supported? Seems you should compare their numbers against Spotify's free listeners instead.

Reactions: motulist

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Comparing SoundCloud's monthly listeners to Spotify's and Apple Music's paid subscribers doesn't seem right.

Isn't SoundCloud ad supported? Seems you should compare their numbers against Spotify's free listeners instead.

I believe they also offer a premium subscription service similar to Spotify and Apple Music, but certainly their main draw is still all the user-generated content, which is not behind a paywall.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I believe they also offer a premium subscription service similar to Spotify and Apple Music, but certainly their main draw is still all the user-generated content, which is not behind a paywall.

Their premium model is "Soundcloud Go" which is $12.99/month after a 30 day trial period.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
That's too bad. I was hoping to see some of my favorite Soundcloud artists on Spotify.

Likewise, I thought that a Spotify acquisition could potentially create a path for small artists to get on Spotify easily. Darn.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I thought Spotify was operating at a loss because of their free tier.....where would they get the money to buy another company?

Karma*Police

Suspended
Jul 15, 2012
I think it makes more sense for Apple to buy SoundCloud and tie it into its apps like GarageBand, Pro Tools, and even podcast. Simply create and publish.

Artists can simultaneously sell their work on Apple Music/iTunes for the fans that want to support them financially.

td2243

Cancelled
Mar 14, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
What I do feel Spotify is missing is letting users upload their own music.

From what I understand, Spotify is more legit so-to-speak. Artists have to go through a music distributor like CD Baby to have their music on Spotify.

Whoever compared SoundCloud to YouTube is totally correct. Both are highly unregulated where anyone can post others' music without any repercussion. It is only now starting to be regulated on YouTube only with songs being digitally identified and some portion of the views being attributed to the artist. It's still a free for all.

I digress. Spotify artists have to go through professional channels to have their music showcased, instead of just uploading it themselves.

This is my understanding of it all and I could be off.

Last edited:

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
1. I will only pay for music if I get something tangible in return - aka non-DRM'd music file or album with no restrictions.
2. I don't and won't support DRM'd services and don't support any ads - all blocked
3. Have an application that allows downloading of any soundcloud music without the "download" button - very handy feature indeed :)

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood

spotifysoundcloud-250x216.jpg
Rumors last month suggested Apple Music rival Spotify was in advanced talks to acquire audio distribution platform SoundCloud, but it appears discussions have ended after Spotify pulled out of the deal.

According to TechCrunch, though months of talks took place, Spotify ultimately decided not to purchase SoundCloud because of worries the acquisition would negatively impact its impending IPO.
SoundCloud, which allows users to upload, promote, and share audio recordings, would have allowed Spotify to add user-created content to its own music catalog, but Spotify would have needed to deal with licensing issues, something it did not want to do ahead of an IPO.

SoundCloud has upwards of 175 million total listeners a month, while Spotify has 40 million paying subscribers. Apple Music, Spotify's main competitor, has been gaining subscribers steadily and as of December 2016, boasts 20 million subscribers.

Article Link: Spotify Won't Be Purchasing SoundCloud After All
I wish Apple would buy them. Anything is better than SoundCloud's app

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I am surprised SoundCloud is more popular than Spotify and Apple Music combined at 175million. Not sure what people are listening to on there, but I always imagined its an obscure service that is on the verge of failing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.