Spotify for iOS Updated with Redesign, Revamped Browse and Playlist Features

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 2, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Streaming music service Spotify today updated its app for iOS, bringing a major user interface redesign that emphasizes album arts with a darker theme, along with the addition of newer fonts and icons. The app’s new look is meant be in line with the design of the desktop and web versions of Spotify, which marks the first time the service has seen a visual overhaul since it first launched in 2008.

Speaking to The Next Web, Spotify’s Director of Product Development Michelle Kadir said the following about the service’s new look on iOS and other platforms:
    [​IMG]
    In addition to an overhauled user interface, the app also now includes a revamped Playlists section that allows users to save and organize music in a variety of ways, along with an updated Browse feature that contains enhanced smart playlist functionality and improved context-aware suggestions.

Spotify launched its free streaming tier for iOS devices last December, and integrated its Browse playlist curation feature last August as it has attempted to keep up with the likes of rival music streaming services such as Pandora and iTunes Radio. A report from Edison Research last month noted that Spotify was the fourth most popular service in the United States, making up for 6% of all listeners behind Pandora, iHeartRadio, and iTunes Radio.

Spotify is a free download for iOS devices and can be downloaded through App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Spotify for iOS Updated with Redesign, Revamped Browse and Playlist Features

2. macrumors 6502

kwokaaron

3. macrumors member

Yeigh the design it good, but neigh I do not use it

4. macrumors 65816

shenfrey

Its ok! That shuffle play button placement is horrible though. And I bet many would agree with me!

5. macrumors 65816

I do not. I use Spotify to listen to music rather than searching what I want to listen. I like the idea that you can play random music any time you want.

6. macrumors 68020

bbfc

I agree. I'm a premium subscriber so don't expect the shuffle button to be so prominent. It wasn't on the previous version.

Love the new design though!

7. macrumors 6502

Sandstorm

I really love Spotify and I really like this new redesign. :)

I only hope redesigned iPad version will soon follow.

8. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Looks great. Taking advantage of using the artwork blurred in the background, that's cool! Love the new fonts too.

9. macrumors 6502

since when was there a redesign released for the mac? I havent gotten any new updates...

10. macrumors G5

Rogifan

I agree. Once you start scrolling through a playlist the shuffle button half covers whatever song is at the top. I hope they fix that.

11. macrumors 68040

chrf097

Reminds me of Rdio. Anyways, I love it. Looks awesome.

12. macrumors 65816

Is Spotify still in business? I'm seriously surprised they have any customers left since the launch of iTunes Radio rendered the Spotify service useless.

13. macrumors 68020

Aluminum213

Much better, but where is the iPad version? That's the version I use the most

I'm going to assume this is a terrible attempt at sarcasm

14. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

They both do very different things. That may change in iOS 8 though.

15. macrumors 65816

No. I used Spotify/Rdio quite regularly until the launch of iTunes Radio. I haven't used it once since. And I get iTunes Radio for free as part of my Match subscription. It's an insanely great deal that Spotify doesn't come close to matching. I think these services are doomed.

16. macrumors 68030

tkermit

Did a double take. Glanced at the user name. Had guessed correctly. ;)

17. macrumors 6502a

Have they added the ability to save/organize music by artist yet? I can't believe this has been missing from the service all along, which is the main reason I switched to Rhapsody even though I like Spotify better overall.

18. macrumors regular

StevenB14

They have added/are adding a "your music" section which is supposed to be much better than just having a massive list of playlists. I haven't seen this feature on the app yet so don't know if its still on its way or it needs to be kicked off on the desktop app.

Hopefully someone else can shed some light on this.

19. macrumors 604

bushido

two completely different services. iTunes Radio never ever plays what I want while i got the whole music catalogue at my disposal with Spotify.

---

and yeo that Shuffle button is horrible, especially in german. the writing barely fits inside

20. macrumors 6502a

dannys1

and yet STILL you can't arrange playlists so last added is at the top. How many years Spotify? Its RIDICULOUS. Even the OSX app refuses to remember you want last added/newest tracks at the top.

----------

I'm not sure you're longed for this world...

21. macrumors 6502a

Bawstun

Any tracks I add or star to playlists are at the top, and stay that way, arranged by date. Just click the date/added time, in the column of your playlist?

22. macrumors 68020

Aluminum213

Why is the playlists portion of the app still the old version? It's the old ugly color and design while the rest of the app is the new sleek black

It's like they forgot to update a portion of the app

23. macrumors 65816

I use the iTunes store for my collection and iTunes Radio for discovery. It's the perfect combination IMO. Why rent music that can disappear from your playlists/library at any time when the publisher pulls the tracks from the service? It happens all the time on these subscription services. It makes renting your music totally unedifying.

24. macrumors regular

25. macrumors 68030

tkermit

Do you not see this?

[​IMG]