Spotify Makes U.S. Debut With Paid Plans and Invite-Only Free Service

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 14, 2011.

1. MacRumors, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2011

macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Streaming music firm Spotify today announced the immediate launch of its beta phase offerings in the United States, debuting as an invitation-only free service paired with two different paid tiers: Unlimited at $4.99/month and Premium at $9.99/month.

[​IMG]
    The Spotify app for iPhone [App Store] is also now live in the U.S. App Store, and a subscription to the Premium service is required for mobile device access.
    Spotify's free service is debuting in the U.S. with exclusive ad partners Coca-Cola/Sprite, Chevrolet, Motorola, Reebok and Sonos, who are said to be developing specific and innovative ad campaigns for the platform.

Spotify has seen a fair amount of success in Europe, but the service's much-anticipated U.S. launch has been delayed several times as the company sought to acquire approvals from the major record labels. Those pieces began falling into place over the past few weeks, enabling Spotify to finally bring its offerings to the United States.

Article Link: Spotify Makes U.S. Debut With Paid Plans and Invite-Only Free Service

2. macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

I understand this look awesome from consumer perspective, but how is this really a sustainable business model?

And already -1 for asking a simple question which has obviously no simple answer.

3. macrumors 65816

Sorry but I don't see it getting too far in the USA.

4. macrumors member

and no one else noticed that the prices are mixed up, so is premium 4,99 or 9,99 a month?

5. macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I will try it out.. from what it SOUNDS like.. it's better than Pandora... like that fact that it's on demand.

6. macrumors 65816

Just because a paid music sevice that isn't offered by Apple doesn't mean it's destined for failure.

7. macrumors regular

The US seem to have it very lucky, the prices are the same in $ as they are in £ for us in the UK. Unfair :(

8. macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

Show me where i was talking about failure? I'm asking how this is a sustainable business model that's all. Quit smoking, pal.

If it checks just location and doesn't require US credit card then buy some cheap VPN (~5 USD/month) and problem solved.

9. macrumors G4

daneoni

I got my invite like two year ago and i can't even remember the last time i launched the app.

10. macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

I'm quite happy with Grooveshark but will try this out.

11. macrumors 6502

Does anyone know what happened to the radio functionality Spotify used to have? All the screenshots from Europe show a radio tab. Do they not have radio functionality in the United States version?

12. Reevey, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2011

macrumors newbie

Prem is 9.99
    Unlimited is 4.99

I don't see where it's said anything else? =/

I've used Spotify since it came out, happily paying member. It's a fantastic service, works really well. Worth every penny.

13. macrumors 604

bushido

signed up behind my US IP yesterday, got nothing back so far :(

14. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

Though I like Pandora, it's nice to see more competition -- as long as it doesn't drive the prices higher (which seems to be happening more often in the US).

I don't understand the Spotify tiers. "Free" obviously has ads, which isn't really a big deal. But what's "invite only?" Does someone currently using Spotify have to invite you? That seems like it would automatically slow down Spotify's adoption rate here.

I don't see much difference between "Unlimited" and "Premium." They both allow unlimited access. "Free" allows mobile syncing. Does "Unlimited" restrict you to just your computer? That would be absurd, paying for a service that gives you less than the free version. I would imagine that most people would want music-to-go, not be restricted to their desktop (or laptop).

15. macrumors 68000

daveathall

The prices aren't mixed up.:rolleyes: Must be just you.

16. Guest

AAPLaday

Unlimited (desktop) $4.99, Premium (listen on your phone) $9,99

17. macrumors newbie

You mean this? http://cl.ly/042g2d1D3S2l2V1t2D0h
    I got it in the Dutch version! Dunno if it's in the US version, but I got it ;)

18. macrumors newbie

And with Premium you can listen offline (save music, which is pretty handy on your phone) and the music is in higher quality :)

19. macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Not to mention offline playlists, which I use a lot - download as much music as I want over wifi, then listen to it wherever I want without having to sell a kidney to pay for 3G data :D

Now if only they'd finally introduce an iPad app....! According to the responses from their Twitter account they are "working on it"... but have been from quite a long time now - surely it can't be that hard?

20. macrumors member

Its not in the AppStore yet:(

21. macrumors 68000

Lyle

I've been a Rdio subscriber for a few months now and am pretty happy with the service, though I sometimes have trouble with hangups or "stuttering" in the music streaming. I will probably give Spotify a try for awhile and see if it seems to work better for me.

22. macrumors newbie

The free one only allows you to sync music from your own collection (mp3s you have already) or songs you buy from spotify (like itunes) to your device.

Prem lets you create playlists that can be played on ios or android devices, even without internet access (offline playlists).

There's loads of great features that barely get a mention, like collab playlists, great for in the office. The social side of it is done well, it's non-instrusive.

Seriously worth a try

23. macrumors 6502

Shanesan

While Grooveshark can't even get into the AppStore, you will most likely not see Spotify there. You will probably have to Jailbreak, just like for Grooveshark's mobile app.

24. macrumors newbie

I know what you mean! I pay €10,- a month, which is the same as $14,20!! But hey, I happily pay the 10 euros for this service and maybe I will make a US account and pay in dollars, with the premium account you can use the service unlimited world-wide!

25. macrumors regular

in fact I prefer this over purchasing in iTunes. I think many others agree.