Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Show me where i was talking about failure? I'm asking how this is a sustainable business model that's all. Quit smoking, pal.

How is a non sustainable business model anything OTHER than failure?

Example: If I take in less money than I bring in, I am "losing" money. "Lose" too much money, and my business will be forced to close. After closing, I realize since my business model was not sustainable, my business was a failure.

This isn't difficult.

eroplos

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010
While Grooveshark can't even get into the AppStore, you will most likely not see Spotify there. You will probably have to Jailbreak, just like for Grooveshark's mobile app.

It will be in the app store! It's in the Dutch app store! Plus the difference between Spotify and Grooveshark is that Spotify actually has deals with the record companies and Grooveshark doesn't! That's why Grooveshark isn't in the App Store, because of complaints of the record labels ;)

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
And with Premium you can listen offline (save music, which is pretty handy on your phone) and the music is in higher quality :)

Not to mention offline playlists, which I use a lot - download as much music as I want over wifi, then listen to it wherever I want without having to sell a kidney to pay for 3G data :D

Now if only they'd finally introduce an iPad app....! According to the responses from their Twitter account they are "working on it"... but have been from quite a long time now - surely it can't be that hard?

Thats right! Its a great service. Yeah i saw something about the iPad app coming soon too. Hopefully it doesn't take as long as it took the service to launch in the US ;)

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
While Grooveshark can't even get into the AppStore, you will most likely not see Spotify there. You will probably have to Jailbreak, just like for Grooveshark's mobile app.

Not accurate. It is in the App Store (US, too). I downloaded and am using Spotify now.

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
How to get around invite

1. Use a UK proxy to register for a Spotify Free account.
2. Then log in from the US and change your country in your user profile to USA.
3. Profit???

kimble3

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Show me where i was talking about failure? I'm asking how this is a sustainable business model that's all. Quit smoking, pal.

How is a non sustainable business model anything OTHER than failure?

Example: If I take in less money than I bring in, I am "losing" money. "Lose" too much money, and my business will be forced to close. After closing, I realize since my business model was not sustainable, my business was a failure.

What I want to know is how is this a good deal for the artists? It seems like they are the real losers in this venture...

Prenvo

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2009
United Kingdom

Spotify will be in the App Store. It already is in the European countries previously available.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
What I want to know is how is this a good deal for the artists? It seems like they are the real losers in this venture...

Ill just quote myself from the other thread.

I have as much concern about musicians, their royalties and payments as they have about my wages, if I want to listen to some music, I couldn't care less about what they do or don't get paid for it.

I subscribe and enjoy spotify, mainly listening through a sonos multi room system, not bothered where that money goes as I class it as good value.

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
I understand this look awesome from consumer perspective, but how is this really a sustainable business model?

And already -1 for asking a simple question which has obviously no simple answer.

Why wouldn't it be? It's like radio, except I pay. Much of the monthly money goes to the labels and the labels want to have another revenue stream than i-tunes. How is buying music "sustainable"? I pay nothing for long periods of time to i-tunes, where I am likely to keep paying to spotify.

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Been using this for the last hour or so and honestly meh...

I really dont like the interface, yes songs load fast and quality is good but after using rdio for the last month I can't imagine investing in spotify.

Rdio allows me to easily add albums to my collection in spotify you have to find each song and can make a playlist. I like full albums and so far Ive not found a way to do that in spotify.

Also only allowing one device in use at the same time even offline in offline mode sucks!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Spotify is owned in part by the record labels themselves. What they appear to have done is develop an alternate revenue stream with a loophole that pays the actual musicians a mere pitance compared to the going rate for other broadcast or internet media outlets.

Pretty slick to have the same record labels that sue individuals for MP3 piracy (via their RIAA front organization) paying almost no royalties themselves.

Source: http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2010/how-much-do-music-artists-earn-online/comment-page-3/

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So have the invites started rolling out? I registered 3 of my emails within minutes of the signup earlier this month. Hopefully one of those will get an invite.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Since i started using spotify premium a few months ago im never going back to downloading mp3:s again. Spotify is simply awsome. Check out the numerous sites that offer playlists of various categories for spotify!

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007

The Spotify app is already in the US App store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spotify/id324684580?mt=8

Grooveshark isn't in the app store (or the Android market, I might add) not because of Apple, but because they don't have the proper licensing agreements in place with the record labels. Spotify does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.