Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cinnabar

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Spotify is simply the best music service in the world. I honestly believe that. It draws on a fantastic music library which takes in all of the classics you'd expect, plus a very respectable stock of bleeding edge artists. The fact that I can download anything I want to my iPhone to listen to on the go (in the premium version) is awesome. I would find it very difficult to go back to using anything else. Enjoy it America.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Since i started using spotify premium a few months ago im never going back to downloading mp3:s again. Spotify is simply awsome. Check out the numerous sites that offer playlists of various categories for spotify!

sharemyplaylist.com even has their own app on the app store. Very handy.

FriarNurgle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Spotify is owned in part by the record labels themselves. What they appear to have done is develop an alternate revenue stream with a loophole that pays the actual musicians a mere pitance compared to the going rate for other broadcast or internet media outlets.

Pretty slick to have the same record labels that sue individuals for MP3 piracy (via their RIAA front organization) paying almost no royalties themselves.

Source: http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2010/how-much-do-music-artists-earn-online/comment-page-3/

Thank you for pointing this out.

Stok3

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Since i started using spotify premium a few months ago im never going back to downloading mp3:s again. Spotify is simply awsome. Check out the numerous sites that offer playlists of various categories for spotify!

yeah ive been excited for Spotify for a while. Now i can finally dump Rhapsody (puke)

ichaz05

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
Uk Gets Stiffed AGAIN!

Why is that its $9.99 for premium and the Uk Pay £9.99!!!!!! if you convert the currency the US should be paying $16.12 or round it off to $15.99 always the way! SUCKS :mad:

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
Spotify coming to the US is one of the most exciting things to happen this year for me. I've missed it since I moved back from the UK. I've already changed my account to the US and have upgraded to Premium.

My wife and I LOVE Spotify!

tjernis

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
Rdio allows me to easily add albums to my collection in spotify you have to find each song and can make a playlist. I like full albums and so far Ive not found a way to do that in spotify.

No. That's not correct. Drag the album to the playlist. Works like expected.

/ET

CamoBear

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
I´ve been using Spotify since its release here in Norway. Its really good. Definately recommend that you try it.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Signed up for the $9.99 plan. Doesn't sound to bad when played through my 3GS connected to my stereo through the headphone jack. I will give it a try but will probably cancel eventually.

I have been a subscriber to Grooveshark for several months now and only pay $3 a month but I rarely use it.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
good content?

I dont see a way on their website to search their catalog before i buy. I dont want to pay and find out they dont have a lot of what i like

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Grooveshark isn't in the app store (or the Android market, I might add) not because of Apple, but because they don't have the proper licensing agreements in place with the record labels. Spotify does.
Spotify doesn't have licensing agreements with the record labels. Spotify are the record labels.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Spotify doesn't have licensing agreements with the record labels. Spotify are the record labels.

Not really. The record labels own a minority stake in Spotify. Last time I heard this was a combined 17% or so.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
I understand this look awesome from consumer perspective, but how is this really a sustainable business model?

And already -1 for asking a simple question which has obviously no simple answer.

Well, I'm sure they're hoping to convert users to paid. They seem to have about a 10 percent conversion rate in Europe. We'll see.

dalrok

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
invites

Since invites are useless in Sweden these days and I still get new ones each month I pay for Premium, you can have them! Send me a PM if you want one...

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
I dont see a way on their website to search their catalog before i buy. I dont want to pay and find out they dont have a lot of what i like

Over at Engadget, people are posting lots of codes for the free invite. Go for it.

My initial impressions. The user interface is superb. Tracks play so fast they might as well be local--there's no delay at all. There are tools for finding similar artists, for sharing, and organizing playlists. It's very clean and clear how to use.

OTOH, I've already found a couple of holes: The newest Adele, and the newest Radiohead. MOG has both, but lags and has a less advanced interface.

rich2000

macrumors member
May 18, 2009
When are people in the music business going to get it into their heads, we need consistent pricing

$4.99 is nowhere near the same as £4.99!

at current exchange rates $4.99 is the equivalent to £3.10, even with 20% VAT it's £3.72, so the UK has to pay 25% more than the USA! Rip off Britain as usual!

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
Been using this for the last hour or so and honestly meh...

I really dont like the interface, yes songs load fast and quality is good but after using rdio for the last month I can't imagine investing in spotify.

Rdio allows me to easily add albums to my collection in spotify you have to find each song and can make a playlist. I like full albums and so far Ive not found a way to do that in spotify.

Also only allowing one device in use at the same time even offline in offline mode sucks!

You can "star" albums and they show up in your library.

silver25u

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I'm trying it out to see what all the fuss is about. Not sure I'll stick with it though, as a quick scan of the available music shows some serious shortcomings imo. I have several invites for those looking of them.

spaceywilly

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
Has anyone gotten the iPhone app to work? For me I can just get to the opening screen but I can't enter my username or password. The only thing I can do is click "create account" which takes me to the screen to sign up for an invite.. but I already created an account and paid for it.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
I'm trying it out to see what all the fuss is about. Not sure I'll stick with it though, as a quick scan of the available music shows some serious shortcomings imo. I have several invites for those looking of them.

Yeah, I've found some gaps too. I also have been using MOG for a while, and in each case so far, MOG has it. On the other hand, Spotify kills in the UI department.

I'm hoping that some of these holes will get patched up. I'm giving it a month, then I'm back to MOG. In the end, if it doesn't have all the music I want, what good is the slick UI?

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
I don't see this service catching on. Paying over 100$ a year to gain access to music online...

Youtube already does that....for free.

Youtube music is available for download for offline viewing too.

Sorry Spotify, you are just going to fall like the Berlin Wall.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Has anyone gotten the iPhone app to work? For me I can just get to the opening screen but I can't enter my username or password. The only thing I can do is click "create account" which takes me to the screen to sign up for an invite.. but I already created an account and paid for it.
I was able to log in to the app after creating my account using my computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.