Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I found that Spotify's free radio is way better than Pandora and Slacker. I still hate their mobile interfaces, which is why I stick with Rdio. Silly, perhaps, but it matters to me.

It matters to me too. I subscribed to Spotify Premium when it first came out and the hype machine was in full force, but I hated their mobile app (and don't love the desktop experience much either), so I quit. I find I like Rhapsody's and Rdio's interfaced much better for music discovery, which is my main use for a subscription service.

And artists basically get nothing from Spotify. My band has two records on Spotify. We get less than a penny everytime a song is streamed. If I was a huge artist, I might keep my stuff off of there was well.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Fixed it for ya. I don't subscribe to Spotify. If I ever get a free trial I'll compare it to iTunes Match.

----------

I know all the pros and cons. I have used all of the services I mentioned! I find new music using those services, especially Songza. But I end up getting it in iTunes because of the higher quality!

Also I use the integration with Siri A LOT!!

theres a free 30 days trial? and itunes match isnt free either

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I'm sure they'll be gutted to not have you and the other 3 people on Earth who think are too cool for Facebook
But FB is cool. So we 4 must be uncool. Or just too old to understand you young whippersnappers' new-fangled society.

I'm gonna go listen to my phonograph, now.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
None of her new stuff is on. Her new album isn't available, neither are the single releases.

Coldplay are though.

Her latest album (she really only has two) is on Spotify, but you're right if you just mean that it took a while for that to happen. And the "Skyfall" single isn't. I imagine it will be the same situation for that.

Personally, I bought a couple of her songs that I wanted before the album was available. For the rest, I've dealt with "good enough" covers if I really wanted them until they were actually released.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 59

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
except not? Spotify is in 320kbps, iTunes Match 256 kbps

Spotify is in 320kbps but it is only using the mp3 format. iTunes Match is using the mp4 based AAC format which is higher quality than the older mp3 format.

Claiming 320kbps without saying what format it is in means nothing when newer formats are available that provide higher quality in smaller sizes. The mp3 compression method is pretty old and dated now.

Additionally you can only get 320kbps mp3 when you subscribe to Spotify premium. The free version is not only in the lower quality mp3 format but also not even 320kbps.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
I was using a Windows Phone the other day (Lumia) with Nokia Music - it is really great with unlimited streaming and even an offline listening mode. I really want something like this (for free), so hoping this is true! - I know I won't get the offline mode but I have unlimited data so I couldn't give a crap!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Her latest album (she really only has two) is on Spotify, but you're right if you just mean that it took a while for that to happen. And the "Skyfall" single isn't. I imagine it will be the same situation for that.

Personally, I bought a couple of her songs that I wanted before the album was available. For the rest, I've dealt with "good enough" covers if I really wanted them until they were actually released.

Adele - Skyfall is on my Spotify. but it may vary depending on your location. its part of the german catalogue however

Is it only me that finds the left picture weird? its playing a bruno mars song but wants you to rate another song.

this is the "radio" feature if i'm not mistaken. that person started out with the rihanna song and based on that he/she got bruno mars recommented next and then u can rate it. if u click thumb down, it wont suggest bruno mars next time.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
This is great news. I'm already paying the $5 a month for spotify but will be damned if I'm paying the $9 they want to use it the same way on iOS.

seyo

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2004
sure is a lot of Coldplay here

and I'm listening to it now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 2.36.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-20 at 2.36.07 PM.png
    699.7 KB · Views: 78

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Spotify offers a free radio version on the iPhone. It's not the on-demand version like on the desktop but it's similar to Pandora or Slacker.

Spotify hasn't required a Facebook login since mid 2012, stop freaking out.

It's a shame there isn't a way of moving informed, intelligent comments like this to the top of the page so we all get to read it first without having to wade through all the incorrect and misinformed posts.

I've had a Spotify account for a while now and I don't have a Facebook account.

As far as iTunes goes, I would prefer it if instead of offering yet another me too subscription service, they kept the purchase to own model and simply added the option to purchase CD quality lossless tracks or better still 24bit quality tracks, in the same way that they now offer SD and HD films and tv shows.

Last edited:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Spotify is in 320kbps but it is only using the mp3 format. iTunes Match is using the mp4 based AAC format which is higher quality than the older mp3 format.

Claiming 320kbps without saying what format it is in means nothing when newer formats are available that provide higher quality in smaller sizes. The mp3 compression method is pretty old and dated now.

Additionally you can only get 320kbps mp3 when you subscribe to Spotify premium. The free version is not only in the lower quality mp3 format but also not even 320kbps.

Spotify does not use MP3, it uses Ogg Vorbis, so your entire post is invalid.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
I love Spotify I have to say, and recently signed up for their premium service. It means I no longer use the iPod functionality on my iPhone and with a decent 3G data plan with unlimited data I can listen to my hearts content. Also use it on the iPad and the MBA and iMac, it's superb! Well worth £10 per month!!

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Thanks. Was just curious to what extent Spotify and Facebook interacted. I only know enough about Facebook to realise it's no longer safe to leave my laptop unlocked in the office when I'm away! ;)

One thing to realize is that how they interact could change. Facebook might start selling access to your emails, for example. Actually, I suspect they will since commoditization of email content is basically Gmail's game plan and I don't see why Facebook wouldn't do the same. And you have probably agreed to that when you connect a service to your Facebook account. I'm pretty sure you have at least agreed to allow these other companies to read your wall and see your friend lists. Maybe review your pictures.

----------

It's a shame there isn't a way of moving informed, intelligent comments like this to the top of the page so we all get to read it first without having to wade through all the incorrect and misinformed posts.

I've had a Spotify account for a while now and I don't have a Facebook account.

As far as iTunes goes, I would prefer it if instead of offering yet another me too subscription service, they kept the purchase to own model and simply added the option to purchase CD quality lossless tracks or better still 24bit quality tracks, in the same way that they now offer SD and HD films and tv shows.

For Apple to make its normal profit margins on a service like that, it would have to be much more expensive than companies like Spotify and Pandora. These companies are basically giving away the product. They need free or nearly free content to do this and they also need capital investors willing to burn cash to keep the companies afloat. Apple does not play that game (though it has the capital do it if it wants), at least they haven't for a long time.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Spotify does not use MP3, it uses Ogg Vorbis, so your entire post is invalid.

My mistake but actually Ogg Vorbis is about equal to mp3 in encoding so yes my point is valid.

The point is Spotify is using an inferior compression method. Neither Ogg Vorbis or mp3 is comparable to AAC. So citing 320kbps (Ogg Vorbis or mp3) as if that is comparable to 256kbps AAC is just wrong.

Reminds me of the ignorant people thinking their cheap 10 megapixel camera they bought at the local mall is higher quality than a good professional 5 megapixel camera.

"If it has a higher number then it must be better right???"

Except in this case its even worse because you aren't even comparing the same formats.

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
One thing to realize is that how they interact could change. Facebook might start selling access to your emails, for example. Actually, I suspect they will since commoditization of email content is basically Gmail's game plan and I don't see why Facebook wouldn't do the same. And you have probably agreed to that when you connect a service to your Facebook account. I'm pretty sure you have at least agreed to allow these other companies to read your wall and see your friend lists. Maybe review your pictures.

When you authorize a Facebook app, Facebook gives you a list of exactly what information you're agreeing to give the app. You can go down the list and allow/disallow whatever you want. It also states, right up front, what the app is allowed to do on your behalf, which again, you may veto. Finally, you're given privacy settings, so for Spotify, you can choose who sees what it posts, ranging from "public" to "only me."

Riot_Mac

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
IL
Slacker is the best music service around. Their stations are way better than the others, you can make your own stations, playlists, listen to basically every album and song on demand for $10 a month. They just did a major update to their iPhone app and it is super slick.

jbimler

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
Wouldn't it be nice to mark this occasion by redesigning the iPhone app to make it a little more pleasant to use...

It boggles my mind how it has 5 stars in the app store.
It does everything I'd like it to. Somehow it works better than the iPad app despite the smaller screen. I'd rate it 5 stars.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
My mistake but actually Ogg Vorbis is about equal to mp3 in encoding so yes my point is valid.

The point is Spotify is using an inferior compression method. Neither Ogg Vorbis or mp3 is comparable to AAC. So citing 320kbps (Ogg Vorbis or mp3) as if that is comparable to 256kbps AAC is just wrong.

Reminds me of the ignorant people thinking their cheap 10 megapixel camera they bought at the local mall is higher quality than a good professional 5 megapixel camera.

Except in this case its even worse because you aren't even comparing the same formats.
While as theory you are correct about assumptions about numbers, in this case it shouldn't matter. Vorbis has been generally tested at or better than AAC at the same bitrate. So 320 vorbis should be as good or better than 256 AAC downloads.

Also, most tests at ~190kbps and up (for any of these codecs) show that people can generally not distinguish between them and CD audio, let alone each other. Mine isn't very scientific, but here's a test: my Adele 19 CD, Amazon 256 mp3, and iTunes Match 256 AAC all sound like electronic screeching horribleness. Even local fm sounds not great, although I can tell they've hammered it compared to any of these better sources.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
When you authorize a Facebook app, Facebook gives you a list of exactly what information you're agreeing to give the app. You can go down the list and allow/disallow whatever you want. It also states, right up front, what the app is allowed to do on your behalf, which again, you may veto. Finally, you're given privacy settings, so for Spotify, you can choose who sees what it posts, ranging from "public" to "only me."

I haven't checked, but I'd bet you dollar to donuts that your terms of service for Facebook say they can change any and all of that whenever they want. Same thing with what Spotify does. The interconnection between Facebook and Apps is how the companies get to know you better so they can sell to you better. If Facebook in anyway goes the route of MySpace or Friendster, they are going to be desperate to generate the billions they need to justify their stock price. Once desperate enough for revenue, who knows what they will sell.

One of my attractive female friends (happily married) has her picture fairly regularly used by Facebook adds for a dating site. She doesn't care, but I also don't think she has any recourse as she uploaded that picture to Facebook and Google pulls up her pictures as well.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

That's an unsubstantiated opinion of yours.

Ignorant? I'm not the one who made a claim based on no research about a topic and then another claim after that which is unsupported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.