Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
For not even 1.0 this app is really good, apple needs to get on the ball and offer a streaming unlimited service

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Nice to see Spotify taking steps to catch up with MOG. While I plan to stay with MOG, it is nice to know there is a similar service available if they decide to raise rates or if they go under.

MOG has a slider on their "radio stations" that can be better than Pandora or any other service. You can listen to music by one artist or incrementally move the slider to the right to add more similar artists. They are also compatible with the NAV in my car, so that will keep me with them for a while. :)

I listen to enough music to make it worthwhile to pay for access to a huge universe of music. If for some reason all of the services go under, I am still happier for having the experience. Also, I have my own huge library to fall back on.

I do understand that it is not worthwhile if you aren't a music fanatic, but for those that are, there isn't a better way to experience new albums and artists.

ericlawrence

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2010
List by Artist, Album or Song like iTunes

I love Spotify and I'm happy they've finally got a real iPad app, but why does the app not allow you view your songs by artist, song, or album? It is so irritating to only be able to listen to songs by the organization of a playlist or by searching the artist, album or song. Please add this feature!

jncoanalog

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2008
For not even 1.0 this app is really good, apple needs to get on the ball and offer a streaming unlimited service

What I really would like to see tough is Apple offering a decent iPod/Music app... I don't know about the iPad as I don't own one and never used the Music app, but on the iPhone it's seriously crippled.

Why wouldn't I be able to edit track info (song name, artist, album, release date, etc...) on the go? Or at the very least have someway of seeing the complete information when it surpasses the character limit.

Cover flow is ridiculous... why cant I organize it by artist, or genre, or release date, or album tittle (Being able to flick up/down to choose the "filter" and then scroll left/right through the album art like I do now would be pretty much sufficient)? Then when I tap an album I get half of the screen wasted with album art for other albums in my library that I really don't need to see while I'me already browsing songs within an album... all so there is no space left for showing the entirety of each song's info (at least when it exceeds a certain amount of characters).

Also, creating playlists has limited funcionality and is way too painful to do on the iPhone.

Overall, the iPod app on my iPhone feels dated and crippled, but I guess I'll be out of luck when/if they choose to revamp it as I'm on an iPhone 3g and don't plan to change that sometime soon (it currently doesn't support iOS 5 and I'm pretty sure Apple would make the revamped Music app an iOS 6 (or wathever version) exclusive.

And I've never used Spotify as it's not available in my country... just use youtube when I need music I don't own :D

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
As for opening fake Facebook accounts, what do you do when Facebook deletes your account for breaking their Terms of Use by opening a fake account?

How would Facebook know it's a fake account instead of a "real" account?

You open an account. Let's it sits there.

Does Facebook require that you log in one a year in order to make it a legit account?

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Signup page is fixed. You must consent to it using Facebook:
"You need a Facebook account to register for Spotify. If you have an account, just log in below to register. If you don't have a Facebook account, get one by clicking the 'create an account' link below."
This includes letting it post messages as you. Guess I won't be using it.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
There's a strong sentiment in this argument that these streaming services are destined to crush the pay-per-download model down the road. And a lot of the argument uses absurd comparisons to other subscriptions services.

Streaming services already surpass pay-per-download model in a few countries:

Sweden: 84% Spotify, 16% Itunes in term of revenue
Spain: Spotify is over 50%, Itunes is less than 50% in term of revenue
Norway: same as Spain

In France, it is about 2 years away (at the current growth rate).

In the USA, it will take a lot longer

Rhapsody: over 1 million paid subscribers
Spotify: over 600,000
Muve Music: over 600,000
Zune: ?
Slacker: ?
Rdio: ?
Mog: ?

Look at the growth of Spotify revenue

2011: $241 million
2012: $889 million (projected)

----------

How is this better than say grooveshark which does not need a subscription for mobile or desktop?

What does it offer?

Grooveshark is illegal. Being sued by all 4 Major Labels and a lot of indie labels.

Spotify/Mog/Rdio/Rhapsody/MuveMusic/Deezer etc...are all legal. They pay about 65% of their revenue as music royalties.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I love Spotify and I'm happy they've finally got a real iPad app, but why does the app not allow you view your songs by artist, song, or album? It is so irritating to only be able to listen to songs by the organization of a playlist or by searching the artist, album or song. Please add this feature!

FINALLY! An intelligent comment about the app itself, from someone who has actually tried it. I noticed this too. Seems really odd since you can from the iPhone app. I hope they add it soon because that's how I discover most new music, and that's the real venture of a streaming service versus buying.

If you like checking out new music, which usually means listening to it for a while to see if you like it, then a streaming service is much more convienient than purchasing. But if you only listen to the same songs over and over, you don't want to pay $10/m forever just for that ability.

Last edited:

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
You probably signed up before the new rule was implemented in September of last year.

To those saying I can sign up through the site: I clicked "Sign Up," and it says it's not yet available in my country. I'm in the US. So I can't even find out if that's true or not.

And to those saying "Make a dummy account": No. I don't want a Facebook account. Amazing how many people can't seem to grasp that.
Why can't you sign up for spotify if you're in the USA? I got spotify whenever it came out for the US...

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
How much data does this consume. Perhaps Spotify should include some free data with their paid service?

sasza

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2005
Finland
In Scandinavia Spotify is the only way to go.

Here we don't have even iTunes in the Cloud/iTunes match.

All these Rhapsody/MOG/Rdio/Pandora crap sucks as it's mainly available in the US, not for EU residents.

Stellarola

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
How much data does this consume. Perhaps Spotify should include some free data with their paid service?

Include free data? Are you saying Spotify should partner with cell providers to offer free extra data? I don't quite follow your logic...

pointy

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
How would Facebook know it's a fake account instead of a "real" account?

You open an account. Let's it sits there.

Does Facebook require that you log in one a year in order to make it a legit account?

That's not my point.

Registration and Account Security

Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:
  1. You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
  2. You will not create more than one personal profile.
  3. If we disable your account, you will not create another one without our permission.
  4. Etc., etc.

Spotify takes quite a bit of work to set up, as much or more than iTunes or any other music library app (I use Rdio for this now), a lot of it redundant and dull. If Facebook shuts your account down, that work is wasted, and your Spotify account gets shut down along with your Facebook account.

For me, it's a risk-reward situation, and dealing with Facebook on any level isn't worth the trouble.

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
Because 90% of the time, I'll like maybe 2-3 songs on that entire album. Also, I could buy those songs I wanted from Spotify or iTunes for 99p each and own them forever too.

Obviously. I was simply giving the better alternative with the same price.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Fail

Spotify sucks. They dont even have a radio feature on their mobile apps for discovering like artists. MOG is way better.
How can this get downvoted so much? If you've only used Spotify, you have no idea what you're missing with the other options out there like MOG and Rdio. (As I have.) Both of those are superior in most ways to Spotify. Here's what I've noticed:

Spotify:
Catalog is filled out with compilation albums rather than full albums by artists.
iPhone app is very disorganized - no alphabetical sort! What a mess to deal with. Try driving with this app and selecting a specific artist out of many.
No "recommended if you like" section.

MOG:
Sound quality is stellar.
App is far superior to Spotify, but inferior to Rdio.
Deep catalog without the need for cheap compilations to pad it.
Alphabetical sort.
Excellent suggestions - I've found a few new things because of this.

Rdio:
Sound quality needs to increase.
App is very similar to iPhone native Music app.
Deep catalog without the need for cheap compilations to pad it.
Alphabetical sort.
Excellent suggestions.

Ultimately I'm sticking with MOG only because of sound quality, otherwise I'd go with Rdio because of the app. Why others won't investigate these, I don't know. It's not like you're tied into a contract. Drop Spotify and try MOG one month, then drop that and try Rdio. Pick the best. It may not be Spotify.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
Apple will debut a Spotify-like service (iStream perhaps?) within 12 months.

It's just a matter of when.

The scary thing is that if AT&T, Verizon, Sprint or T-mobile makes their own version of Spotify like Cricket (6 million wireless users) did with Muve Music.

Cricket has over 600,000 Muve Music users 1 year after its launch ($65 a month for unlimited talk, text, data and music downloads on Android device). That's 10% and growing. If AT&T does the same, it would be the equivalent of 9 million subscribers after 1 year.

Future of music consumption?

Last edited:

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Yes. This is the only problem I have with Spotify. I listen to a lot of House, Techno etc and a lot of Music I listen to simply is not on Spotify. If it was, I'd definitely pay the £10 for it. Thats no fault of Spotify's, they simply must not be able to get everything everyone wants. I'm sure in the future more record companies will jump onboard, even the smaller ones. :)

Shouldn't the first word of your reply be "No."? Or is it like "yes i agree with you."? I don't use Spotify much, but I don't have a problem with it. I just think it's absurd to say they have "99% of all music", about which you seem to be agreeing with me. They don't, never will, and neither will iTunes for that matter. That's not a slam on them; it just is. And I'm sure over time they will get much more (if they survive) as you suggested.

But if someone thinks that any streaming OR download service has 99% of all music, they have a very limited view of what music is out there in the world.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Because 90% of the time, I'll like maybe 2-3 songs on that entire album. Also, I could buy those songs I wanted from Spotify or iTunes for 99p each and own them forever too.

If you only like 2 or 3 songs on an album, you are listening to the wrong artist.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
This is great news for consumers. Just another reason why iPad is number one. Nowhere else can you enjoy a true tablet experience than iPad.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
But if someone thinks that any streaming OR download service has 99% of all music, they have a very limited view of what music is out there in the world.

When I said 99% of all music, I was talking about music you want to listen to.

A kid in his room recording a song on his computer is consider "music." A band playing a song they wrote but will never record is considered "music." etc....

Obviously, Itunes/Spotify will not have this. Otherwise, Itunes might have less than 1% of all the music out there.

Does Itunes have 99% of the music you want to listen to for sales? I would say YES in my case.

Does Spotify has 99% of the music you want to listen to? I would say YES in my case.

For example, list 10,000 songs you want to listen to. For most people, Itunes and Spotify will have 99% of them (9,900 available out of 10,000......missing 100 songs).

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
When I said 99% of all music, I was talking about music you want to listen to.

A kid in his room recording a song on his computer is consider "music." A band playing a song they wrote but will never record is considered "music." etc....

Obviously, Itunes/Spotify will not have this. Otherwise, Itunes might have less than 1% of all the music out there.

Does Itunes have 99% of the music you want to listen to for sales? I would say YES in my case.

Does Spotify has 99% of the music you want to listen to? I would say YES in my case.

For example, list 10,000 songs you want to listen to. For most people, Itunes and Spotify will have 99% of them (9,900 available out of 10,000......missing 100 songs).

this is full of fail, because you are arguing against things i never mentioned.

i never meant to imply amateurish home recordings, people playing for change on the corner, or anything like that. perhaps i was too ambiguous.

i'm not about to list 10,000 songs. (or 1,000 albums, as i tend to think in albums). but there is no way any one service has 99% of recorded, professionally released music. that is absurd. but if one wants to limit themselves to what's available on service X, i have no problem with that. but don't fool yourselve into thinking you're not limiting yourself by that choice.

if you'd have said "99% of the music i'm interested in", i would not have replied.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
i'm not about to list 10,000 songs. (or 1,000 albums, as i tend to think in albums). but there is no way any one service has 99% of recorded, professionally released music. that is absurd. but if one wants to limit themselves to what's available on service X, i have no problem with that. but don't fool yourselve into thinking you're not limiting yourself by that choice.
There is no rule that says you can't buy the album if it is not available on Spotify. AC/DC is not available on any service that I am aware of, but I already own their CDs I am interested in, so it isn't a big deal. Also, I can buy the CD if they come out with something I want tomorrow. These services don't make you swear off buying music from other places.

One of the knocks against Spotify compared to MOG was they were missing key artists and albums in their collection (not sure if the article from a few months ago is as relevant today). It was another reason I chose MOG, but if MOG was missing an album I really wanted, I would just buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.