Spotlight and external drives question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jtt, Jun 2, 2005.

1. jtt macrumors regular

My G5 will be here sometime today, and I was wondering if Spotlight start indexing the files on my external as soon as it is mounted? I just need to transfer the files off of it. or will Tiger not be pre-installed and I won't have to worry about it?

2. sakasune macrumors member

Yeah, Tiger should be on your G5. When I connected my external drive, it started indexing the files in spotlight, but if you don't want it to I believe you can cancel the indexing through the spotlight search button on the menu bar.

3. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Related to this does anyone know if there is a way you can keep your external drives indexed by spotlight and have it persist between mounts? I just keep the stuff I'm working on currently on my actual Powerbook and evertyhing else is on my external drive but spotlight was insisting on indexing it everytime it was plugged in PRIOR to mounting it so for now I've added the external to the Privacy tab but I'd really like it to persist the index and be able to use spotlight to search it.

Maybe this will be a 10.4.2 thing as a lot of people are having troubles with external drives.

4. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Once your drive is indexed, the index file will remain on your drive. Therefore, every time you mount it, it will be already indexed and you never have to worry about it again.

5. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Network Drives?

Ok, this may work well on locally installed external drives (USB & FW) - but what about Network drives? I have a SAN 160GB drive on my LAN and would like the data on that to be indexed for spotlight - how would i tell it to search there too? Then, as an extension - maybe a shared folder on a windows machine?

Thanks,

FireArse

6. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

That is what it SHOULD do but doesn't, every time the drive is mounted it is indexed, which is a royal pain in the...

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

My external HD doesn't reindex every time...
    Do you change the contents of the drive between re-hooking-ups?

8. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

No... Maybe it didn't index properly at the first attempt or something so I'll have a go at deleting the index and trying again on it, I just thought after reading about the issue so many times that it was an actual issue so I wasn't worrying too much about it.