Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewpage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
When I first got Tiger, I was very excited. My excitement quickly turned to frustration. Spotlight simply doesn't work. It can't "see" many of my word and excel files, even when I do a search from the very folder the files are in, I come up empty. Apparently, I am not the only one with this problem. I have read about this problem on other forums. I hope Apple fixes it, since its very annoying not to have the same search capabilities that I had in Panther.

Also, Tiger breaks Virtual PC 7 (partially), Cisco's VPN client, and Norton Antivirus 9 for Mac. Beware of Tiger if you use these apps. The have not been updated yet.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
I'm not having any issues finding word documents...

However it is up to Microsoft to patch their software and they already stated that the will be doing so.

Why use NAV at all? To protect your PC brothers?

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
How long has it been installed? It takes a while for it to index all your files, maybe an hour or several hours. Also try restarting.

drewpage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Spotlight

I can find "some" word documents, but not nearly all. Don't misunderstand, I am not busting on your installation of Tiger, only my own. After all, there could be something unique about my files thats causing them to be invisible. I don't think so though. Others are having the same problems.

As far as NAV, the system in question is an iMac G5 at work, and as such, we are required to have virus protection, whether or not we have a PC or Mac. The NAV in question is the corporate version but really is the same as the retail product. Even though there are not many Mac viruses, its rather short sighted to not have some sort of virus protection. Someday, virus writers are going to say, hmmm...mac is getting too popular....here are some viruses for ya.

yes, Microsoft said they would update, but not for 2-3 months, which is pretty rediculous.

drewpage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Spotlight

I am glad everyone in the forum is not having any problems. I was not looking for fix suggestions though, just putting out a warning that if what you running is mission critical, hold off on Tiger until its been out a few weeks. Also, I am a very big Apple fan. Don't view my post as a complaint against Apple or an affront to what you believe in.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
drewpage said:
I am glad everyone in the forum is not having any problems. I was not looking for fix suggestions though, just putting out a warning that if what you running is mission critical, hold off on Tiger until its been out a few weeks. Also, I am a very big Apple fan. Don't view my post as a complaint against Apple or an affront to what you believe in.

did you do an upgrade install or a clean install? perhaps this could be why your having problems, again sorry that you are having issues, i hope they can be resloved

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
drewpage said:
Also, Tiger breaks Virtual PC 7 (partially)

Not challenging you at all, so please don't get me wrong, but what exactly is broken? MacBidouille and others have reported 7.0.1 as working in Tiger....

EDIT: I agree...unless there's something obvious we're missing, something is just not right with your Spotlight. :( Have you tried creating an RTF in TextEdit and saving it, and then searching it in the same way you searched the Word documents? Alternatively, make a PDF of one and put it in the same directory, and see if Spotlight picks up the PDF and not the Word doc. (I'm assuming, from your description, that there are non-Office things you are able to spotlight succesfully).

David Lundgren

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2003
Albany, NY
Well, with a title like Spotlight Bites, it certainly LOOKS like a shot at Apple... but mine certainly finds Word files and Excel files, and as far as Microsoft being ridiculous and slow to upgrade anything, that's why we're here in the first place!

I'm impressed as hell with Spotlight, and strangely enough, I'm finding that Dashboard is great as well - I thought that was kind of a "fluff" thing until I found the FedEx, WiFi locator and Version Tracker gadgets.

I know you've calmed down by now, so you gotta love what they're doing - and trying to do - with Spotlight. I already got to upset my first Windows using business partner this morning with a little Spotlight demo... he went off sulking about Longhorn ever getting here!

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
mkrishnan said:
Not challenging you at all, so please don't get me wrong, but what exactly is broken? MacBidouille and others have reported 7.0.1 as working in Tiger....
There was a report that, although the default "shared networking" works, the "virtual switch" networking option is broken on Tiger. I use the shared network default, so I haven't confirmed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.