Spotlight find by content on a server?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by baleensavage, Apr 26, 2006.

1. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

I am the Systems Administrator for a small newspaper. When I first heard about spotlights search by content abilities, I thought it would be a godsend for our company, because we are endlessly looking for "that story that ran sometime last year about the school board or something." Well, we now have 10.4 on our client machines and our XServe and lo and behold, find by content only works on the desktop machine, which in my opinion is totally useless. Why didn't Apple set up spotlight on a client machine to talk to the server's spolight index when finding files? This is just sloppy and it makes spotlight in a business setting almost as useless (or more useless some argue) than Sherlock 2.

Anyway, gripes aside, I have started looking for third-party solutions to this. I am aware of Spotless which can force the indexing of volumes, but the last thing I want is a PowerMac G3 (our lowest end computer) indexing a server volume all the time. :eek: Does anyone know of a way to get an OS X machine's spolight to communicate with an OS X Server's spotlight index? Or is there another solution that I am missing?

2. Rohan Moore macrumors newbie

This might work for you:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=249525

3. baleensavage thread starter macrumors 6502a