Spotlight - how long? how big?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Heart Break Kid, May 2, 2005.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

Ok, I've been watching activity monitor for about 3 hours now (I have no life), and it seems to me that spotlight is indexing all my files as the CPU shows 0% IDLE.

I was wondering, approximatley how long did it take you guys to see your stuff indexed?

How much stuff was being indexed?

How large was the spotlight folder?

Where is the spotlight folder?

I have about 600 MBs of word documents, so I'm guessing mine will take forever. I think the indexing is the reason why my iChat is freaking out. It wont let me send messages properly. I get a constant spinnging beachball of doom when i try. Theres major lag between the time i type a word and when it shows up.

Im hoping that once spotlight finishes doing its thing, everything will be fine and dandy.

I'm running a 1GHZ PB GF 17", with 1 GB ram

Activity monitor shows that %Idle has been 0% for the last 2 hours or so

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

i did a format and install.. took 60 seconds or so to index. now i just add things as i go and it does it immediately as i add them. seems to be working great. my only beef is with Delicious Library, it's kinda flakey

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It really shouldn't take any where near three hours, even for 600MB of documents. I'd say it's all indexed now. :)

But to test, do a search with it for "Spotlight". ;) That should answer some of your other questions too.

4. Dave Marsh macrumors regular

Does anyone know if Spotlight is supposed to index FileMaker 6 Pro files? I've a lot of data stored in a couple of databases I created (books/DVDs) and so far searches with Spotlight haven't successfully found any of the records in them. :confused: