Spotlight laughing at me

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by jimuk, Jan 7, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Help,

I'm looking for an image on my system called sig.tif I go to spotlight, type sig and sig.tif is the top hit. And if I click I can preview and do other stuff but

I want to know where sig.tif resides on my system, so i can insert it into a file. Where can i find that out. Its like spotlight, finds it, shows it to me than laughs as it wont tell me where it resides.

Can I get spotlight to show me the filepath?

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Hold the Command key while you click the item in the Spotlight search results. That will open the folder containing the file. Spotlight isn't laughing at you. You simply need to learn how to use it.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll wipe the smile off its face:D

4. macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Even I didnt know that. I might start actually using spotlight now hehe. I always thought it cumbersome.

5. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I rarely use Spotlight when searching, as it's not as thorough as searching in Finder.

6. macrumors 6502a

RE: "find", "mdfind", ...

Yeah, I rarely use Spotlight nor Finder, as they are not as thorough as Terminal's "find". (The "find" command also has a number of way of filtering the results that are quite useful.)

Switon

P.S. You can also search the Spotlight index from the Terminal using "mdfind"...

7. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

If you want to drag and drop the file into another app, just click and hold the file icon and drag.