Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
London, England
I'm hoping somebody can help me here.

The spotlight icon and airport icon that appears on the menu bar has completely disappeared. Spotlight still works within Finder and everywhere else and WiFi works fine but I cannot see either in the menubar.

Anyone have any ideas what's gone wrong?

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
try deleting spotlights preference file. It's in "Macintosh HD:Library:preferences" then scroll down and find "com.apple.spotlight.plist" delete it. You will have to redo any custom setting you had for spotlight.

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
London, England
I have just realised that I do not have a bluetooth icon, spotlight icon, airport icon or clock icon anymore. However, I do have all 3rd party icons available e.g. salling clicker and synergy.

It appears as though all the Apple icons have disappeared!

Can somebody please help?

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
London, England
Lacreo said:
try deleting spotlights preference file. It's in "Macintosh HD:Library:preferences" then scroll down and find "com.apple.spotlight.plist" delete it. You will have to redo any custom setting you had for spotlight.

Thanks for your help but that did not work :(

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
Yeah It wouldn't. Don't know what I was thinking.... For some reason I though it was a spotlight problem. :eek:
You have tried restarting, right?!?!?!
If you go into Activity Monitor, are there any "hanged" processes?

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
London, England
I have restarted about 10 times. Zapped the PRAM and run FSCK.

I found a post on macosxhints.com stating that you need to run the following cmd in terminal.app killall SystemUIServer but I get an error message saying "No matching processes belonging to you were found".

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
That command works fine for me. So that means that SystemUIServer isn't running.
Soooooo.....
Try going to "Macintosh HD:System:Library:CoreServices:" then double click on "SystemUIServer" If nothing happens, you can try deleting IT'S preference file.
Witch is in "Macintosh HD:your username:Library:preferences" delete the file called "com.apple.systemuiserver.plist"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.