spotlight not working now

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by derajfast, Nov 8, 2005.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

yesterday i had to reset my pram and /or pcmu or something like that to fix bluetooth, and now spotlight wont work......it will work if i run it through the finder window, but if i use the blue magnifying glass in the top right, it doesnt search and nothing will come up.....ive tried reindexing, but it just stops half way through and wont find anything...ive tried repair disk permissions and nothing.....i dont see why it would work in the finder window but not when i do cmd+space

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, you could get rid of ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.spotlight.plist and reboot... there's always a (slim) chance it's caused by a corrupted preference file...

If that don't work, and since it's just the menu bar spotlight that seems to be broken, you might look into some of the UI and LaunchServices preferences, both in ~/Library and /Library, but I don't remember just which is doing right now. It's way past midnight here and I should be in bed already... :eek: ;)

3. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I was thinking the same thing about the Spotlight preferences but wasn't sure whether it'd be okay to delete them while Spotlight is still running. I've been trying to figure out how to turn it off.

5. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

well ive tried to reindex, but it doesnt work either

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could you start a new account and see if you have the same problem there?

All I've got from the Apple Support Forums is this thread with no answers from someone reasonably high up meaning that a solution probably still hasn't been found. I recommend keeping an eye on that thread though, if you think it's relevant. :)

As for deleting the preferences, I suppose you may as well give it a try if the new account has the same problems.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Shouldn't be a problem (though I would reboot shortly after, at any rate before searching for something using Spotlight ;)).

You could always kill a couple of Spotlight related processes like the mds process, e.g. using Activity Monitor, if you'd like... :)

Edit: Also, the file ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.systemuiserver.*.plist might be a culprit as Spotlight is a heavy user of the SystemUIServer process...

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You're so brainy. :D

I've been trying to figure out what processes Spotlight uses for about half an hour now, thanks. :)

9. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks....ill keep an eye on it.....so theres ntohing else i could do?

10. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

so i should kill the currently running processes spotligh is using, which have the extension .mds using activity monitor, then reindex spotlight. restart, and see what happens?

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't think it's an indexing issue because you can half use Spotlight still. Yeah, maybe delete that process (with Activity Monitor) and then delete the preferences and then merely restart. I suppose a reindex wouldn't hurt but it might just be a waste of time.

Is the problem across all accounts?

12. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

13. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

what the hell.....i think i got it to work? i removed my HD from places to search in syst prefs, restarted......then i added it to places to search, and resarted....then i reindexed and restarted....and now it works..hopeflly its stays that way? well thanks anyway guys, i appreciate it....this is why i love this place, people are willing to help. being a previous windows user and a switcher for the last 2 years, the grass really is greener on this side.

14. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I've run into this issue with my step-dad's PB and my PM. I haven't gotten around to updating his PB, but the 10.4.3 update fixed Spotlight for me.

It's the weirdest bug: Spotlight refuses to find anything with the upper right hand search box, but will find anything in any app. I don't know what the real solution is, but try upgrading to 10.4.3 or re-running the upgrader (download from Apple's website) and see if that works.

Best of luck to you; it's a frustrating bug.
    -Chase

EDIT: Well that was splendid timing.
    -Chase

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You're killing/stopping (not deleting) the mds process. By default, Activity Monitor only shows you My Processes but the mds process is owned by root so from the drop down list, select All Processes and then use the search bar to find mds and kill it. :)

Edit: nevermind, you reindexed and it worked...

16. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i already updated to 10.4.3 a few weeks ago and it made spotlight a lot faster....i had to rest my pram and pcmu (?) last night and i think that might have messed it up

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

18. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's very bizarre. :confused:

At least it's working now though. :)

20. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a