Spotlight on Network?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mcs37, Jun 29, 2004.

1. mcs37 macrumors regular

mcs37

I was impressed by Spotlight (and it's about time someone from SOME OS company has finally released a good search system). But does Spotlight crawl the local subnet shared folders too? Cuz that would be slick. :D I'm sure it will crawl networked drives but shared folders too? Anyone know?

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Probably if the share is mounted. And then it also depends on the network speed/setup. Hopefully someone with preview version can test

3. jane doe macrumors 6502

yes it does, it grabs the meta data from the files on that volume providing that you have the proper permissions.

4. mcs37 thread starter macrumors regular

mcs37

But does the volume have to be mounted? I am living in a house starting this September with 4 other people, and how awesome it would be to have instant file search over all shared folders (not necessarily mounted folders, but shared on the Windows network). I wrote a program that did this years ago, and I'm sure someone has done a new one today that's nice and fast, but I think it would be tremendous to have it all done instantly by 10.4.

I'm impressed with 10.3 and 10.4. Now only if they had G5 PowerBooks to support the 64-bit OS.... guess I'll have to wait until January.