Spotlight on removable volumes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by savar, May 8, 2005.

1. savar macrumors 68000

Jun 6, 2003
    District of Columbia
    Does anybody know how Spotlight treats removable volumes? I googled for this and couldn't find anything except pre-Tiger speculation.

The reason I ask is because in order to install Tiger I bought a DVD-burner, and in order to clear space off my teeny hard drive, I'm burning some recorded TV shows to DVDs. I'm wondering if there's a way to tell Spotlight that I want to be able to search these DVDs offline, and then when I find something I want to watch it tells me which one to put in. Is this possible?

If not, it would be a great 10.4.1/2 feature.

PS Tiger is great, it really feels like a lot of things have sped up, especially application launching. For all the crap the dashboard gets, I think its really useful too. I used to go to google to do calculator arithmetic because the calculator was hidden away in /Applications and using the google tool bar in Safari was faster.

But does anybody else have the problem that expose won't reveal the desktop if you assign it an F-key? I can do it using a hot corner but I prefer the keystroke so that I can program my mouse to do it.
  2. adamcr macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2006
    Re: Spotlight on removable volumes

Hi there,

Did you find any solution to finding files on archived DVDs? I'm looking to do exactly the same thing...

P.S. If you find the shows are too big, I've figured out a very good way to compress them without losing quality (e.g. taking a 19 min 921.3Mb MPEG-2 file to a 338.4Mb MPEG-4 file in 30 mins).