Spotlight on Spotlight

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tugalone, Apr 26, 2005.

1. tugalone macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've heard good things about Tiger's Spotlight. Now that a few of you have Tiger (and I'm going to the store to get mine on Friday), I thought I'd post this here.

My only gripe is that you can't view the "cached" text along with your searches (like in Google Desktop Search).

Also, I wonder if it is possible for Spotlight to search custom types like Java/C++ files or .log files? And I hope Spotlight isn't limited to the 5000 or so word limit per file that Google's Desktop Search has.

Thoughts?
    TugAlone.

2. Androit macrumors member

Well viewing "cached" text from a webpage could be a potential security issue. Personally I don't have any need for it. The internet is always there to find it the original way you found it in the first place. Plus if it was important to find later whats wrong with a bookmark, or saving the page as a PDF. then Spotlight can search it like normal.

I think those files are all plain text anyway (unless you're talking about compiled files)

I hope there's not a word limit either. I don't think there is, if you can specify how many pages a document should be to be included in a search or the length of a movie I doubt they would put a limit on how many words are searched in a document. That pretty much would nullify the whole reason for having an instant system-wide search.

3. Macette macrumors 6502

Is there a shortcut key to activate Spotlight, a la Quicksilver? Or do you have to use the mouse to start typing in it? What about tabbing to it or something?

4. andysmith macrumors 6502

Yep - I understand it's Cmd-Space.

5. Dalriada macrumors 6502

Just wait for QuickSilver's B40 which due out any moment and should make a great combo tool with Spotlight.

- Dal