Spotlight privacy isn't private

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aria505, Apr 30, 2005.

1. aria505 macrumors member

Mar 30, 2005
    I was messing around with the Spotlight privacy settings and noticed that if you setup a list of folders that you don't want spotlight to search in; you are also giving anyone who walks up to you computer a clear list of folders that you don't want them to look in.

That doesn't seem very private if you ask me. Not only that but if you double-click on any of the folders listed in the Spotlight Privacy settings, it opens that folder in the finder to show the user exactly what you don't want them to be looking at.

lol hmmmmm Seems like Apple needs to make this a secure setting so that in-order to see the list of "Private" folders you would first have to authenticate with the admin password in the same way that you have to authenticate before you change the "Login options".

What do you all think about this?
  2. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Excellent suggestion!! All they need to do is put the little padlock in the lower left corner of that pane ;)

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    While its obvious now that you've pointed it out, I don't think I would have caught that one.

Nice find. Make sure you let Apple know about it. :)
  4. Yaja123 macrumors regular

Mar 19, 2005
    way off topic - sorry

"Fat kids always win at see-saw" (only heard this one rcently, v.funny & yours)
  5. aria505 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 30, 2005
    Yeah, i've noticed that when they put the padlock on settings, it tends to just grey out the settings so you could still see the list of folders.

They should apply the padlock in a way that doesn't just greyout the settings, but hides the list of folders completely until the setting is unlocked.