spotlight problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flalaw, Nov 8, 2006.

1. flalaw macrumors regular

If I click on the spotlight icon next to the time, I'm able to find all my files w/o any problems. The search function within finder windows doesn't work though. I'm searching for files that I am able to see in the particular folder but it won't find them. I rebuilt the spotlight index and still no luck. Any suggestions on what the problem is and how to fix it?

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

You didn't mention that you've made sure that you've selected to show the search results for the folder when you search in the finder, so I have to ask. Is the folder button selected for search results like this?

Attached Files:

3. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

yes. i did specify which particular folder to search in. i don't understand why searching in one way works while searching in another way doesn't. this is starting to bother me quite a lot now.

4. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

also, everything was working fine last time i tried running searches directly from inside finder windows. i didn't change any settings since then.

5. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I have no other suggestion than to send you down the standard troubleshooting road. First step: Log in with a different user account, create one if necessary, and see if the problem persists.

6. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

7. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

well...i guess this one is resolved. really weird but a few restarts later everything works again. i'm not complaining.

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

That's strange, but I'm glad you got it sorted.