Spotlight problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TrenchcoatJedi, Jan 29, 2006.

1. TrenchcoatJedi macrumors member

TrenchcoatJedi

Hey all, I got a problem with spotlight. When I enter anything into the spotlight field, nothing happens. It doesn't return any results for any query. I already tried deleting the .Spotlight-V100 file on my HD and rebooting. Spotlight reindexed my HD but I still get no results returned when typing in anything.

I'm running 10.4.4 on an iBook G4 with 640MB of RAM and a 60 GB drive. Any help is appreciated.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Perhaps find a file named com.apple.spotlight.plist and drag it to the Desktop. It's in your User's Library Preference folder. :)

3. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I know this sounds silly, but you might want to re-run the 10.4.4 update to see if it starts to work again. I've had this problem before on multiple macs and they've always started to work again after an update.
    -Chasen

4. TrenchcoatJedi thread starter macrumors member

TrenchcoatJedi

I trashed the plist file and nothing happened. I don't understand this because spotlight worked just fine last night and all of a sudden this morning, it's broken.

5. Sogo macrumors 6502

Question: If I were to add a spotlight comment to a file, and then move that file to another mac, would i still be able to find it using spotlight?

6. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

when i bought tiger, spotlight was my second to last reason for buying (automator was/is the last). Now, spotlight is my favorite part of it. If i want to find a chat i had with friend a, i can just type in friend a on 2006-01-29 at 4:46.

I think that you just have to just reinstall the update. Good luck. I don't think i could live without spotlight now.

7. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I believe so. I put some URL's on some images and transferred them to a different mac, and they stuck. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure they stick.
    -Chasen

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yes, since the spotlight comments are written to the file itself and not the Spotlight index. So when you move the file, the comments move with it - just as the creator's name stays on a Word document.

Once the file is indexed on the new Mac, Spotlight should find it.

9. TrenchcoatJedi thread starter macrumors member

TrenchcoatJedi

So how do I reinstall 10.4.4?

I'm pretty dependant on spotlight because I have a buttload of PDFs that I need to search for keywords.

10. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I'm talking about updating it again. Go to /Library/Receipts/MacOSXUpdate10.4.4Patch.pkg and install using that, or if that's not there, download 10.4.4 from Apple and install that.

A complete reinstall can be done from the Tiger discs or the system discs, but I'm not suggesting that unless nothing else works.
    -Chasen

11. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I've had Spotlight completely fail sometimes, only for it to revive itself after a restart or two, or just at some random point in the future. 'Tis very strange.