Spotlight randomly indexes... ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MarksEvilTwin, Jul 9, 2005.

1. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    I've not had this problem, but I don't think that you would be accidentally throwing the index out. It's in an invisible folder named .V100-Spotlight or something like that located in the root directory of the indexed drive.
  2. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    Just curious, but how exactly do you know when your Tiger is indexing the HDD? Even on a fresh install, I can see no indication of when this is taking place.
  3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    A little symbol in the magnifying glass fades in and out. If you click on it while this is happening you get a message saying "indexing" or summit.
  4. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2004
    This has happened to me on my PB. It happened after I had to force it to turn off after it froze completely. It then refused to boot up a few times and then when it finally did it started indexing. I thought it was because my hard drive is failing, but since you had the same problem I'm starting to wonder.

Did you, proir to indexing, force a shutdown or have trouble booting?
  5. MarksEvilTwin thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 6, 2002
  6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    It would be really hard to do that from the Finder. That stuff is in dot-prefixed files at the top of a drive's directory, and therefore hidden.

If something happened during shutdown and the files appeared to be in a bad state, Spotlight may well have worked from the assumption that they were corrupt, and went ahead and rebuilt.
  7. MarksEvilTwin thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 6, 2002