Spotlight Search Broken!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SawceBaws, Sep 30, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Aug 1, 2011
    Hey there guys.

I have been using Lion fine for a year now, until a while ago when I tried searching for something using spotlight. Spotlight was super slow, and only revealed a few results. I have no idea whats going on.

I used a program called "Spotless" to delete the spotlight index and rebuild it, but takes around 12 hours to get halfway, and then just gets stuck at 20 Mins remaining. I have literally no idea what to do.

Also, Spotlight works perfectly when its in the process of "rebuilding the index", however as soon as I force stop it from reindexing the problem occurs again. I used terminal commands such as sudo mdutil -E / to rebuild the index, however the result is the same. It takes forever then freezes. Strangely enough, it also doesn't cause any slowdowns with my mac when its rebuilding the index.

I am literally going out of my mind trying to find a solution for this. Please help. Thank you :(
  2. macrumors newbie

Nov 30, 2013
    Fix Spotlight

The second line is key for this to work!

sudo mdutil -i on /
    sudo rm -rf /.Spotlight*
    sudo mdutil -E /
    Click on Spotlight search, you should see its indexing status + time estimate. After the re-indexing is done, your search should be back to fully functional.