Spotlight vs. Google's Desktop Search

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rdowns, Apr 14, 2005.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Can anyone provide a good comparison of the two? I was asked by 2 people at work today, What's the big deal with Spotlight when I can get Google's for free. Of course they're Windows guys.

2. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

basicly the best I can think of it spotlight is a more powerful verson of the google desktop search. Lornhorn is definatly going to have a more powerful verson of the google desktop search in it.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Spotlight has better integration with the OS, so it will probably use less resources and be able to do better indexing. And faster searches.

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

does the google app search within .psd, .pdf, .doc, .txt, .rtf, etc......?

5. Logik macrumors 6502a

pdf, doc, txt, rtf, ... yes

the rest could be done if someone wrote a plugin for it.. the newest release allows plugins.

The biggest difference between desktop search and spotlight is the integration you get with spotlight.. any app can take advantage of it. i believe google also released that SDK too.. so you could technically use it in any app.. *double checks*

so with that said.. they're about the same.. however i think you're going to find more people actually use spotlight since it's built in..

6. vocaro macrumors regular

I had the same discussions with a colleague of mine. She proceeded to demo Google Desktop Search for me by performing a quick search in her browser. But when she clicked on the first link, kaboom! "File not found."

Seems she had deleted the file a couple of hours ago and Google had not performed an index of her hard drive since then. As a result, Google Desktop Search suffers from stale data, and you can never count on the search results as being accurate.

On the other hand, Spotlight is integrated into the OS and updates itself every time the hard drive is written. Its search results never produce missing links, and it's always up-to-the-minute.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm pretty impressed by Google's app but it sure does take up a lot of resources which is weird because it's meant to only ever run in the background - when pretty much nothing else is using the processor.