Spotlight...whats the point?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cold_Steel, May 27, 2005.

1. Cold_Steel macrumors member

Hi all,

I cant really see the big deal about spotlight because when i go to search for something it doesnt tell me where on my computer it is ( HD/applications/folder01 etc etc). So i might as well just use the search function in Finder as that is just as comprehensive if not more so?

Any ideas..can spotlight tell me where stuff is as such?

Thanks,

Matt

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Command-click on the file in the search pane, and it will open the enclosing folder. Or click "Show All" and click on the (i) information icon to see the folder location.

3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Umm, yes, it does tell you where it is... You even said that.

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Great tip Lacero, I didn't know about that :)

Cold_Steel, if you hover your mouse over the item you're interested in, it will tell you the path to the item.

5. swy32x macrumors regular

I think it's awesome for searching for rarely used apps/apps that aren't in your dock.

Instead of going hunting, just start the name off in spotlight and you're off!

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The search facility in Finder is also Spotlight under a different guise - and with a few more options available in terms of being able to filter on more metadata and save the searches.

Another Spotlight tip if you want to see information on several files and don't want to keep clicking the i next to each file name, is to use Option click which will open up the info for all the files.