Spotlight with Entourage and IMAP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blodwyn, Apr 15, 2005.

1. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Just ordered Tiger and looking forward to it.

Does anyone who's tested it know if Entourage (Exchange) mail is indexed by Spotlight? I also use Apple Mail with personal mail held on an IMAP server, does Spotlight index IMAP mail?

Thanks

2. hodgjy macrumors 6502

I think so

Entourage stores all your email messages in a temp folder, even if they're from an IMAP server. So I think spotlight will be able to index your emails on Entourage.

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

According to this article Microsoft will release an update to Office 2004 in the next couple of months, and I imagine Spotlight support in Entourage will be added then. If they do add Spotlight support in Entourage, I can't imagine they would miss IMAP users.

4. hodgjy macrumors 6502

I think that update is specifically for VPC 7.01.

5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

"For example, upon installation of the new OS, Spotlight will be able to index Word, Excel and PowerPoint formats," according to a statement offered by a Microsoft spokesperson. "Support for additional features such as sync services will be enabled by a future update."

6. hodgjy macrumors 6502

7. blodwyn thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the replies, just a small clarification to my question - I use Entourage to connect to an Exchange server at work, so I was curious whether Spotlight would be able to index the emails. I have a rule set up which copies all emails from the Exchange server to a local inbox in Entourage, so as long as Entourage supports Spotlight or vice versa then it should be OK. May have to wait for this to happen in an update I suppose.

I only access my IMAP personal mail using Apple Mail, so I'm hoping that Spotlight will treat IMAP mail on the server the same as POP mail which is downloaded to a local mailbox.