Spotlight wont find all my music

Discussion in 'macOS' started by catmonkey, Oct 23, 2006.

1. catmonkey macrumors member

Sep 24, 2006
    hey all, i have noticed recently that if i try and find tracks from my itunes library using spotlight it only finds some songs, for example only half an album or none at all! This is a minor issue but is getting increasingly annoying. Is there any way to re-index my HDD, any other suggestions to fix this problem?

Thanx in advance,
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    To re-index the HDD, open System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy and then drag your HDD icon from the desktop into the list of folders in the Privacy pane.

Then close System Preferences, then open it again, navigate back to Privacy and remove your system HDD from the Privacy list. You should notice the Spotlight icon start flashing a little dot inside the magnifying glass at the right or your menu bar. Once it's done indexing try it again.

Oh, and iTunes has a great built-in search feature for your music - it's actually what Apple based spotlight on.
  3. catmonkey thread starter macrumors member

Sep 24, 2006

Thank you, i use the search feature in iTunes all the time, it was just i needed to search through spotlight to find certain songs to send to my mobile.

Thank you for your help, spotlight now finds everything again.