"Spotlights" at bottom of the screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Schraiber, Jun 26, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Jun 25, 2009
    I just took my brand new MBP around with me, leaving it unplugged for a while and when I got back and plugged it back in, the screen spent some time readjusting to the light and now I have little "spotlights" down at the bottom... I assume that these are the LED lighting up the screen from the bottom? Regardless, it looks freaking horrible. I tried to search for this issue but I didn't really know what to search for, so if someone has covered this already please let me know. I won't really have access to a car for a while starting in a few days, so if this something that I should fix by a return to the apple store, I'd like to know ASAP :)
  2. macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    This one was reported a while ago. Called the "stage light effect" among other things....

I've noticed it in passing on my MBP, but have failed to repeat consistently.
  3. macrumors 6502

Oct 17, 2003
    Unless you're seeing these spotlights under all viewing conditions, they should only be visible when the screen is turned up most of the way and on dark (usually black) backgrounds. Try watching a dvd on your laptop with the screen turned up. You'll probably be able to see the spotlights in a dark room under normal viewing conditions. Unfortunately, this is how these screens use the led backlights. All of the led screens will show this spotlighting to a certain extent.

See this link: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7098579&postcount=10 <----this is normal backlight bleed on the unibody mbp's

See the rest of the thread here... click

If you are seeing these spotlights under normal use in all brightness conditions, then it's a defect that should be addressed. People will probably reply to this thread saying spotlights are defects under any condition blah blah and that their mbp doesn't have them. It's BS. The truth is you can go into any apple store and check out all the display models. They'll exhibit this slight spotlighting effect under the conditions I describe above. However, the spotlights shouldn't be noticeable during regular use.
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Jun 25, 2009
    Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, I am operating under half brightness right now and they are definitely visible. Looks like I have a defect...

Back to the Apple Store for me...
  5. macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2009
    116th & Broadway
    Mine doesn't show any spotlights, and I am glad.
  6. macrumors 6502

Oct 17, 2003
    See my post above. Like I said. Some people see zero spotlights on theirs. This is extremely rare.