sprained my ankle

Discussion in 'Community' started by mgargan1, Jul 20, 2005.

1. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Hey,

I'm bored to tears... I was playing basketball at my gym, and I landed on the side of my ankle. I heard some cracking and then I had a wall of pain hit me. It's now the size of a watermelon (exaggerating a bit). But I'm icing it, and keeping it elevated.

I'm home alone, everyone's gone, so I can't talk to anyone or move too much to get to the tv. And I thought I would just post something on here. Wish me good healing...

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

That's a bummer. Have someone swing by the Olney Alehouse for some molasses bread or something. That ought to knock you out for a couple of hours.;)

Maybe you'll have time to post some more of your Canada pics.

Hope you make a speedy recovery. :)

3. applekid macrumors 68020

They do say to get an X-Ray in case you broke a bone. Not that I've actually listened to that tip... :rolleyes: Though that crack sorta has me worried, and the fact it's swollen (though you are exaggerating the size) isn't comforting. When I sprained my ankle I don't remember hearing a cracking sound, and it barely swelled up at all.

Remember RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

Take it easy.

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I've only really hurt my ankle bad once. Last year in football, I ran the option and got about 18 yards. I was tackled from behind, and was laying chest down on the ground. someone stepped on the heel of my foot, pushing it towards the tround, but i was laying on my chest, so it was bending the wrong way. Can't explain it, but it was like a hyperextension. Hurt sooo bad. i thought it broke, but after about 20 seconds of pain, it went away, and i kept playing :D

ice it to hell, thats what i did. it hurt for about 3 weeks, but just keep icing it.

you can get to the tv, just hop on the other leg. tape an ice bag to ur ankle.

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

keep bending it around. mine was swollen to where...well...you know that bone on your ankle that faces outward? it was missing, just puffy skin all over it. it only swelled up after i walked on it, so just keep icing it.

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Just keep it iced and elevated. Elevate it on some pillows when you sleep. That sound you heard....most likely the ligaments. Is the outside of your foot/ankle bluish/purple?
    I'm a professional ankle-sprainer. I played high school basketball and have played basketball my whole life so I've probably sprained my ankles a hundred times. If this is one of the first times you've done it, you may have a few days of soreness. If you've done it a lot like me, it is fine in a few hours.

7. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

it's def. bruised... and the lump is about the size of my fist. Thanks for all the concern! And I'll try to post more canada pics :)... I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Just incase anyone wants to see them..

http://community.webshots.com/user/mgargan4

8. theonenonlyjoey macrumors member

theonenonlyjoey

The same exact thing happened to me. The bruising, swelling, cracking, so i went in to get it check out and come to find out i fractured my ankle. I was in a cast for 3 weeks and a boot for another 3 weeks. Go get that checked out man, it doesn't sound too good

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Since you are having swelling the important thing is to use ice and keep it elevated. You could use some Motrin or Tylenol for pain. I would high recommend that you see your physician it's best to be safe than sorry. There is no way of knowing what kind of damage that occurred unless you have it checked. :(

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Heres to wishing you a speedy recovery mgargan1!

11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Come to think of it, I don't think I sprained my ankle. It hurt for about a month, and was swollen the whole time. I can't bend it as far as I used to, and it cracks a lot. I think I fractured it, who knows now though, it is probably healed.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

When I broke my hand I heard crack felt sharp "kill me now pain", swelling then stiffness. I say get an x-ray and lots of ice packs.

13. theonenonlyjoey macrumors member

theonenonlyjoey

I can't bend mine as far anymore either. It also seems to have healed crooked since my two feet no longer look symmetrical. Oh well, I can live with that.

14. Lau Guest

Yeah, definitely get it checked. Even if it isn't broken, there can be nasty ligament stuff going on and that can set you back for a while, especially if it isn't treated. I don't think and of my (many) sprains have made that sound, so I would definitely check I you haven't done something horrible to a ligament!

Hope it's better soon.

15. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Another advise to get it checked over - with pictures.

I once broke my ancle snowboarding, didn't think much of it as it didn't hurt that much so i continued for another 3 hours. I did open up my boot to check when we stopped for dinner. Purple.
    No more boarding for me that holiday. And even now my left ancle (the one i broke) is much less moveable then my right one. My left leg right now has to compensate the movements my ancle can't make, which puts some extra strain on that leg.
    So really, make sure you're absolutely sure about what happened in there. And maybe do some kine (i didn't :() to get your ancle back in the best shape possible.

In the mean time, enjoy the rest and heal fast !

16. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Dude. Go get it checked...

You may be able to live with it now, but what about in 15-20 years? It could cause some serious problems in your knee or hip as you get older...

I sprain my ankle about once a year.

17. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

just got back from the doctors... i tore my ligaments, but i didn't break any bones!! So they put me on this brace and I can kinda walk with it on. So this is good news, and thank God I didn't do it to my right foot.

Thanks for all the concern

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm pleased to hear that you made a visit to your physician. That was very wise on your part. Now the important thing is that you follow your physicians orders/reccomendations. Are you using crutches or a cane?
    Any pain medications? If so just be sure to drink plenty of fluids.