Spring Break Vacation Ideas

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by poppe, Jan 12, 2007.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hello,

I'm in Souther California and I am curious if anyone has some spring break ideas for me and my girlfriend. we can't really go over 500... maybe a little but not a lot. We'd love to do something in Mexico but we don't know if it is possible to drive anywhere like down across the border and get somewhere cool that is nice and fun.

Or maybe you all have gone on trips or sent your kids on trips and have some advice on getting some good deals. I keep looking through the airline sites like expedia/travelocity, but haven't been able to find anything really reasonable.

We'd be willing to pay more if it was all inclusive hotel. That would be the ideal thing...

Thanks.

2. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Well if anyone can think of any please reply for me...

Oh also I don't mind not going out of the states. Maybe there is something cool to do in California i don't know. I just moved here...

3. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

You could drive to Seattle, Portland, or Vegas.

I would have replied earlier waxing poetic about my prior trips, but figured no since you were on a very limited budget. My story though is Spring Break last year -- I snagged a flight to Hong Kong over spring break week -- it was a fantastic time and I loved Hong Kong.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Bakersfield and Fresno. Now, those are destinations. :p

I don't know where you lived in the past, but San Fran is good to see and going to Yosemite, you might see some snow. The redwoods are an impressive sight, regardless.

5. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

The funny thing about that is some drip on another board who lives in Bakersfield was yapping at me one time how he hates cities, loves suburbs, and "lots of trees." Then someone else from California basically alluded that Bakersfield is an armpit of California. Go figure.

6. DMBGuru macrumors regular

Cryogenic freezing? I hear it's pretty refreshing when you wake up..

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

A combined budget of $500?

Would this vacation be for relaxing, or partying, or both? If you don't mind the noise, lots of hostels have rooms with double beds, I'm guessing for around $30-40 USD per night for the room. That's $20 per person, and hostels tend to be in touristy places. Go to San Fran or San Diego. I haven't been to either place, but I hear only good things about San Fran, while San Diego is just a place I haven't heard many bad things about. ;)
    Go there and be complete tourists for a week. Tell people you're Canadian if you need to. :p It'll be good to play the tourist role.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There are worse places, depending on your opinion. I'd hate to be stuck in Ukiah.

San Diego is good for sleeping.

9. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

No kidding, it is. I pass through there on my way to my grandparents house in northern California. I would never live there.

10. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

No sorry I didn't mean a combined budget of 500. 500 from me 500 from her...
    How long does it take to get to San Fran. I'm in the valley or about 20-30 minutes northwest of LA (unless traffic gets bad or a fire happens by universal like the other day... haha).

I've been dying to go to San Fran, but I always heard it was super expensive so I figured I don't have much money for that... With the gas driving there and everything.
    Another downside is we aren't 21 yet or we'd probably be driving up to some winery's and have a relaxing weekend doing that...

San Diego... hmmm I'll have to look in to that. What is there anything really?

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Expensive motels, two big universities, Seaworld, beach, mountains, Coronado, and the gateway to Mexico. I was there for a friend's concert and explored but I didn't find anything truly interesting though it's a good area for photography.

12. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

well see i knew it was right next to Mexico and that'd be the ideal thing. To be able to head down to Mexico and do something down there... But I don't want to go to Tiawana (however you spell it). - Heard some bad things about that place when some friends of mine went there for his 21st B-day.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've never been to Tijuana but there are apparently some expensive areas on the peninsula. I was watching something about a couple who bought a house down there and it was definitely not the image that people have of Baja.

14. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Hmmm well what to do what to do...

15. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

if you guys are the outdoorsy type, there's some gorgeous trails between Mt. Whitney and Yosemite. I'm planning on getting out to the west coast to hike it.

Otherwise, San Francisco is pretty cool, you could get out to the mountains for skiing or snowboarding, or go south of the border, always fun to be had there.