* Spring ...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Aug 11, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Where are they now?

Was just reading an editorial that mentioned a sitcom episode involving a news reporter tearing a new orifice for a fictional Occupy activist. This brought to mind the recent unrest in Egypt, and I wondered,

what is going on in Libya that we are not hearing about?

what about Tunisia, the place that got the ball rolling?

What, in fact, has been the result of these glorious, high-flown revolutions? Meet the new boss, same as the old boss (is "revolution" another word for going around in circles)? Worse, perhaps? Have we just put it out-if-sight-out-of-mind (i.e., no news coverage to speak of)?

Ultimately, is it at all realistically possible to learn from these events and effects, in order that revolution might not lead to dreadful disorder? Or can we expect human nature to screw us over?

2. macrumors 65816

decafjava

I would not put Tunisia and Libya in the same category to start out with. The main difference is that the main impetus for regime change came about from the inside in Tunisia and the outside in Libya. True there was some internal opposition in Libya but without the massive intervention from outside Gaddafi would still be in power and the country would be in far less a mess. In the case of Tunisia, outside help for the regime did not come (I recall a French minister promising help to Ben Ali somewhat like other Gulf states did for Bahrain) which was a factor in it's collapse IMO.