Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In an interview with Forbes following his company's earnings release, Sprint CEO Dan Hesse noted that the iPhone will actually enable the carrier to continue offering unlimited data plans for a longer period of time than it otherwise would have.
Sprint is still not saying when it may make that switch, but credits the iPhone for helping it push the date out further. "One of the beauties of carrying the iPhone is it extends the period of time and increases the likelihood of us maintaining unlimited data longer because it uses our network so efficiently," said Hesse.
Hesse notes that the iPhone is better at picking up Wi-Fi signals than Android devices are, allowing users to spend more time connecting via Wi-Fi than placing demands on Sprint's cellular data network.

sprint_iphone_4s_buy_now.jpg

He also claims that Apple's tight control over iPhone apps and its requirement that those apps meet certain network efficiency standards helps Sprint's network operate more efficiently. According to Barron's, Sprint claims that the iPhone may offer 50% more network efficiency than Android handsets.

Finally, Hesse indicates that Sprint has made a $15.5 billion commitment to Apple for iPhones, targeting sales of six million units per year over the four-year term of the deal.

Sprint is the only U.S. carrier to offer unlimited data for the iPhone. Both AT&T and Verizon had offered unlimited data at the time of their respective iPhone launches, but both carriers have since migrated to tiered data plans designed to charge high-usage customers more.

Article Link: Sprint CEO Says iPhone Extends Ability to Offer Unlimited Data

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I don't understand this logic, but regardless, that's good to know. Now, just make your speeds faster!

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Androids...

Okay Android owners, begin the crying... :D

Something like "But my Android has a faster processor, more RAM..." Reality is: The Network Provider tells us: iPhone performs better despite. Even from the network side.

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
I guess it makes sense, but this would be the case for all networks with the iPhone (not just Sprint), so it sounds like a bit of marketing to me.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Thanks for the explanation, Sprint.

Now what's AT&T's (and Verizon's?) excuse?

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Also speed of sprints network helps!

Yes and Sprint's network is so slow (even for a CDMA network) they can give almost everyone unlimited data for a long time. Just add more users and let the speeds go down, no big deal right?

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Hesse said:
One of the beauties of carrying the iPhone is it extends the period of time and increases the likelihood of us maintaining unlimited data longer because it uses our network so efficiently

0.2Mbps != efficient. 0.2Mbps == crap.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
Of course it's efficient, it's slower than mud. it's easy to give people unlimited bandwidth when speeds are that slow.

LOL. I immediately thought the same thing when I read this headline. When you're serving up speeds in the .05 kb range it's easy to have an unlimited plan. :D:D It's like me renting my house and providing free electricity but feeding the house with a single 5 amp breaker during an Arizona summer with a 5 ton A/C unit. :)

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

Something like "But my Android has a faster processor, more RAM..." Reality is: The Network Provider tells us: iPhone performs better despite. Even from the network side.

You don't understand the article.

They are saying that:

a) iPhones are very quick to connect to Wi-Fi when it is available, avoiding usage of the cellular network.

b) The restrictions that Apple places on App developers result in Apps that don't use as much data.

The first of these things is a problem with Android - something that Apple CAN be proud about, but the second is absolutely NOT something that anyone should be excited about other than Apple's carrier partners who are restricting what WE can do with OUR devices.

The article certainly does not say that iPhone performs better on the network.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
LOL, with such sllllooooww network speeds, those people deserve unlimited data. I guess thats the catch, lol.

anonApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011

Why would Android users do that?

Nothing that was mentioned in the article affects Android users in any way. It is a benefit to Sprint, but in no way a detriment to Android users.

Kevtech1

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2009
Charlotte
slow as molasses

Sprint is going to lose all their iPhone business if they don't get this data fixed! ASAP! You people on here that dog ATT and how bad their coverage and data is?? I have ATT, and my girlfriend has Sprint. I get her on the iPhone bandwagon and she is still (after a week) getting speeds under 1mb down! Guess what, that's not 3G you idiots! If 3G isn't available in my area then don't display the 3G icon on the phone. That's another great thing about ATT, at least they give you the decency of displaying an "E" (Edge) so I know "ok, I have data, but its slow, barely better than dial-up speeds". I have ATT and have 2 bars in the house and am getting nearly 2mb down. One last rant here, PEOPLE, quit displaying your freakin data speed in kilobytes! Don't you know you have to divide by a 1000 for that to make sense? change it on the app to MB, and quit telling everyone your flippin KB?? .05 kb, you do realize that is .00005MB down??? I'm going to guess, that is not what you are pulling.... Get it fixed SPRINT (OXYMORON named company)

Last edited:

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
He's saying he's happy the average usage is below a a certain data level, allowing Sprint to continue offering unlimited because nobody is using anywhere near unlimited. And for people who are so happy he's praising the iphone, its got nothing to do with the iphone's capabability, he just kissing the ass of the company that gave him so much profit.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Sprint is going to lose all their iPhone business if they don't get this data fixed! ASAP! You people on here that dog ATT and how bad their coverage and data is?? I have ATT, and my girlfriend has Sprint. I get her on the iPhone bandwagon and she is still (after a week) getting speeds under 1mb down! Guess what, that's not 3G you idiots! If 3G isn't available in my area then don't display the 3G icon on the phone. That's another great thing about ATT, at least they give you the decency of displaying an "E" (Edge) so I know "ok, I have data, but its slow, barely better than dial-up speeds". I have ATT and have 2 bars in the house and am getting nearly 2mb down. One last rant here, PEOPLE, quit displaying your freakin data speed in kilobytes! Don't you know you have to divide by a 1000 for that to make sense? change it on the app to MB, and quit telling everyone your flippin KB?? .05 kb, you do realize that is .00005MB down??? I'm going to guess, that is not what you are pulling.... Get it fixed SPRINT (OXYMORON named company)

Last I heard both Sprint and Apple were working on this problem. My EVO 4G is rocking (though I would love an iPhone 5 when it comes out!)

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008

Sprint doesn't say the iPhone performs better or worse. Sprint is only saying that iPhones are better behaved when it comes to network access. As in, they use less data. So the network can sustain more users, better.

Now, what does this actually mean? It means that Android devices use more data than iPhones. Not as a total of all Android versus all iOS, but per device. In the past, T-mobile mentioned problems like this before too.

But why? Things get more subtle.

Basically, it's because of the multitasking apps which continually poll data on Android are forced on iOS to use the push notification system, which is more efficient. Android 2 copied this feature as "Cloud to Device", but as Apple already knew, developers are lazy to change to better code when their existing code works.

Those who think a little further would realize that using the network less equates to better battery life, the bane of Android user's existence.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Its all just a big joke. How much use can you get out of unlimited data at less than 1 Mbps everywhere?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Obviously Android phones are not slower than iPhone in picking up WiFi. That's just BS. The real reason why Sprint may be able to sustain unlimited plans longer with iPhone is because unlike Android phones iPhone does not support 4G (WiMax in case of Sprint) and therefore put much less stress on Sprint infrastructure).

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Sprint CEO Dan Hesse noted that the iPhone will actually enable the carrier to continue offering unlimited data plans for a longer period of time than it otherwise would have. Hesse notes that the iPhone is better at picking up Wi-Fi signals than Android devices are, allowing users to spend more time connecting via Wi-Fi than placing demands on Sprint's cellular data network.
MacRumors seems to have a chronic problem misusing words like "noted" when it would be FAR more accurate to write "claimed" instead. Listening to a CEO give questionable technical answers to explain opaque business decisions is like listening to a vegetarian give advice on which cut of steak is best. Seriously MacRumors, you seem to have a love affair with a word that at best needlessly confuses the issue and at worst intentionally misrepresents the situation.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
It's a marketing ploy to try to get customers to stay for the unlimited data since their network performance has been poor so far. They want to get people to stay past the 30 days.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I don't understand this logic, but regardless, that's good to know. Now, just make your speeds faster!

I thought the logic was fairly clear. The higher per capita of iPhones on the network, the more revenue they will get per GB of data transferred. Essentially making up for the network hungry Android phones.

That was my interpretation of what he was saying and in no way the insertion of my opinion on Android or how cell phone companies work.

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011

So why didn't that help Verizon continue offering unlimited data? Or are the Verizon Android phones better at picking up wifi than the Sprint Android phones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.