Carrier Sprint is pathetic

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Squilly, Feb 3, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

Squilly

Sprint is absolutely pathetic. Full bars and this is the speed I get?

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68020

Full bars are relatively meaningless. Meant to be nothing more than an estimate of signal strength, they've mislead millions of users. It has very little to do with the brand or model of phone, or service provider for that matter.

Around since the first cell phone, for all intents & purposes we'd be better off with just a single indicator letting us know the phones receiving a signal.

3. macrumors regular

And people have gotten (from somewhere) the idea that a stronger signal must mean the connection is faster. After all, the bandwidth available couldn't POSSIBLY have anything to do with the backhaul of whatever tower your phone might be talking to at the moment.

The only thing bars have to do with it is that when you have none, you probably don't have a connection to the tower.

4. macrumors 65816

joshwithachance

I used to witness speeds like that myself. It's just atrocious really. Switched to AT&T for the iPhone 5 and have been a happy camper ever since. Even with just HSPA+ I still pull around 5 mbps down.

5. macrumors 68040

Yeah Sprint is pretty bad. I remember when I had an unlocked 4S on T-Mobile Edge data and used to get the same data speeds as my friends who had the 4S on Sprint.

6. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Looks like my schools internet when 500 people are connected via 6 DSL lines :cool:

7. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

it looks like there is something wrong with maybe the server youre connected to. i had a few speedtests look like that and it wasnt my verizon wireless or fios networks. it was a bad server. other times my graphs looked like that was when i was hit with the wifi bug. rebooting or shutting wifi on and off helped, as did resetting network settings.

before you blame sprint, change the test server and reboot the phone. those graphs arent steady and it looks like youre having some type of connection issue, not necessarily sprints network speed being the issue.

8. macrumors 6502

Did the same with my family plans and we couldn't be happier! I know LTE is good and all, but for my music streaming HSPA+ is more than enough.

9. macrumors member

I had pretty bad speeds too but sucked it up because of the lower bill I pay with Sprint compared to Verizon/AT&T. Sprint LTE is rolling out in my area so I am a little happier now. These were speeds I had last week:

[​IMG]

10. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

That's pretty good actually.
    I seen slower speedtests from Sprint:D

11. macrumors 65816

I wonder if sprint is going to upgrade their 3G networks as well? I've got a 4s and never see over 2.2Mbps DL.

12. macrumors 6502a

Every tower is getting upgraded for faster 3G and LTE capability.

My Sprint is actually really good right up there with Verizon for 3G speeds.
    [​IMG]

13. macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

I hear that sprint has lte available in certain states.

14. macrumors 6502a

They have it in 58 markets so far, my area should be getting it in the next few months.

15. macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

This is what I get.

Attached Files:

16. macrumors member

Sprint is awesome in Chicago. Live it and pay 110 for 2 phones. You gotta do your homework. Been with sprint since the Nextel merger and have always been a satisfied customer. No LTE=No Sprint. I thought everyone knew that

17. macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's WiFi.

18. macrumors 6502

The speed is you show is pathetic for 3G. Your speeds are in KbS. Divide by 1000 to get speed in Mbs. 2Mbs is barely 3G. Even T-mobile gets better 3G speeds than this.

19. macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Yes it is. May be I should of turn off the wifi first then do the test.

20. macrumors 6502

nanogirl21

How do you know if towers are being updated in your area?

21. macrumors 6502a

SuperSnake2012

I'm also in PA, but in the Lehigh Valley. Sprint works great for me here.

22. macrumors member

Sprint has a map and website of what towers and cities are being upgraded. Or you could always call and ask. It's what I did before getting my iPhones

23. macrumors 6502a

2Mbps that I am getting is almost maxing out the CDMA standard, for CDMA it's actually fast. Obviously it does not compare to what GSM is capable of, but it's hardly slow.

24. macrumors 65816

aliensporebomb

Nv

While the Network Vision rollout has hit parts of my town, I am not yet at LTE speeds in my area - however - the 3g speeds have been very respectable - this was from last night:

[​IMG]

But the speeds I get on LTE locally are better arguably:

[​IMG]

Or:

[​IMG]

----------

See http://www.s4gru.com/

25. macrumors 6502a