Sprint PCS phone deal...

Discussion in 'Community' started by jxyama, Jul 29, 2003.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

Just thought to share...

Sprint is having a sale on the ultra-thin Sanyo 6400 phone. It's regularly $130 but it's on sale for $50. This sale applies not only to new subscribers but also to existing customers.

I went to a Sprint Store yesterday, bought the phone for $50 (+tax), they did some number transfering thing and I had a brand new phone with my previous phone number in about 30 min.

It's not in color but it's really thin and light - perfect for voice-only user like me. (The phone is Vision enabled, however.) I had a pretty thick Sanyo 4500 before, so it's a definite step up.

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

How do u like it so far?

I have the Sanyo 4700, and I've been quite pleased with it...more than any other phone I've had. I do find the speaker phone feature is a little flaky though.

3. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

i think 4500 and 4700 are practically the same, except 4700 has shinier sliver front panel...

i think the signal reception is a little better on 6400. i liked the speaker phone and the menu navigation on the 4500 better, but 6400 wins hands down on the size/bulk. (not that i consider 4500/4700 to be too big to handle... but smaller is nicer, if given the choice) i also liked the volume control on the side of 4500. on 6400, i have use the directonal pad. screen resolution is better on the 6400, though i don't use Vision, so it's not a big deal... 6400 is surprisingly sturdy despite it's thin profile. i was pleasantly surprised about that.

i originally got (somehow) two $100 rebates on the 4500 (which was $150). so with this $50 spent on 6400, i've now spent pretty much nil on cell phones since i've been back in the states since 2001. :D

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

yeah...so u suck... ;)

The 4700 is an update to the 4500...virtually the same phone, save for updated firmware & maybe a different ring or two. The reception I've gotten from this thing is amazing, compared to other phones I've had. Even though the battery life has been better than anything I've had as well, I do wish it would last longer.

5. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

yeah, eye, i loved my old 4500. it was a solid performer. there was one firmware glitch i didn't like, but other than that, i liked just about every aspect of it. i really lucked out because i've seen my share of crummy phones.

6400, though... i had been eyeing the 6200, the previous thin model just because it was so thin. but that model was $300 (!) because it was top of the line before the whole color/Vision thing. i really liked it because whenever my brother came back from japan, he'd show me his small/thin/ultracool phone available in japan. while 6400 can't match in terms of functionality to those phones, it's at least thin enough to match the best of them... so for $50, i had to go for it.

my gf also got the 6400. she had the samsung 4900 (?) (the really popular one, back in the day) and the battery was dying on her. (and the replacement battery was $60!) she was a lot more attached to her old phone, since she had it for 3 years, but i think she'll be happy with the 6400...

my roommate's got the sanyo 4700 and he loves it and certainly gets enough usage...

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I had a Samsung...forgot which model now...but had the flipping ear piece...not the display though...

I hated that phone...earpiece came apart...batter never held a charge... :(

since then...I've sworn off phones with movinng pieces...

7. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

scem0-

good call, but this sprint deal is the first one i've seen where no contract/activation is required.

as i wrote on the first post, i didn't have to get a new number/service or change the carrier to get this deal.

btw, this 6400 is the only phone with an offer like this out of the sprint phones. all other models required activation/new contract...

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

That's quite something if u don't have to sign a 1 or 2 year agreement. I've been a Sprint customer for 4 years, and have been forced to enroll into a new agreement any time I've changed my plan.

I also get screwed whenever they change the off peak times. :rolleyes:

As for keeping your number, there's a law to help us out there now. ;)

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm surprised that you had to enroll in anything, unless you got a new phone. I changed from my 250 local/250 long distance plan to 300 local/unlimited long distance plan with nothing to sign but I didn't get a phone.