Sprint phone to sync with OS X??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by davidg4781, Dec 19, 2006.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

davidg4781

I currently have a Treo 650 and have grown to love the syncing of Calendar and Address Book information. Right now though, I'm getting a bit tired of lugging around the Treo, maybe it's too big, maybe it's not as sexy looking, I'm not sure, but I am interested in another, sleeker phone. The only problem is one that would sync with iCal and Address Book seem to be hard to find.

I've used iSync before, with my Treo, but I'm not sure how it would work with other phones. Does anyone have any recommendations? With the Treo, I still had to use Palm Desktop. Is that necessary?

Well, I'd like any recommendations for this. For now, I really want to just sync my address book with my MacBook. The calendar, I'd like to, but if I can't, I would like to sync it with Outlook on my home PC. I'm going to be totally moving to Macs within a few years, so hopefully by then, they've figured it all out.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Treo 700p and any Motorola phones. The Samsung brand is bent on doing things in a very different way (maybe it's better, maybe it's not) that's incompatible.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

davidg4781

Well, I'm trying to get away from the Treos. I've had a Motorola before, and liked it, but when I left Cingular and went to Sprint, they didn't have any to offer. I was looking at the KRZR and SLVR, probably the SLVR.

I did read somewhere that the calendars won't sync, but this wasn't on a mac site, so they may not be very mac-acknowledgeable. Do you know if I'd be able to sync it on my PC with Outlook and maybe Thunderbird?

4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

davidg4781

Does anyone have any updated news on this? I bought a BlackBerry Curve, but I'm trying to save money and getting read of data is a great place to start.

I know a lot of new Sprint phones have come out lately. Do any of them sync with Macs?

5. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I think there is a special application you can buy to sync bb to macs. not surer what its called but try a google search

6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

davidg4781

Yeah, there is, it's called the Missing Sync. I'm looking for a "dumb" phone that I can sync with, not a BB, Treo, or WM device, but one on the Sprint network.

7. slomo86 macrumors member

slomo86

I sold Sprint phones for 3 years and was a certified repair tech for sprint before the air force, DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT go with motorola!!! They are easy to fix for a reason!! IF you want a good PDA, I'm not to sure how compatible they are with iCal but a Blackberry 8830 is a very good choice I know I have the PocketMac for Blackberry on my desktop but I don't use it ever I just transfer my music onto mine, almost possitive its compatible... Or Treo 755p, both are nice and stylish and are packed with fuctionality. Anything that is running windows mobile, your gonna have to keep restarting it because it needs so much memory to run anything and it crashes ALOT... But thats windows for ya and your making the right switch over. :D

8. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

davidg4781

I'm not so much interested in a PDA, just a phone I can sync iCal and Address Book with. I'm trying to get a phone that doesn't require data, so a "dumb" phone is what I'm looking for.

I guess there aren't any. I never understood why, it's so convenient to be able to sync them.

I guess I'll wait another couple of years and revive this thread. Thanks for all your help.