Sprint Stops Offering Two-Year Phone Contracts

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Sprint will stop offering two-year phone contracts to customers who are activating a new account starting today, according to an internal document procured by AndroidCentral. While phones will not be available with subsidies on a two-year contract, tablets will.

As outlined by the document, two-year contracts will still be offered to select customers on a "reactive basis". The move makes Sprint the final carrier of the four major American carriers to end two-year contracts. New Sprint customers will be able to purchase their phones through Sprint programs like Easy Pay and iPhone Forever.

In 2013, T-Mobile began the trend by announcing its Un-carrier payment plans. Verizon followed suit in August 2015 and last month AT&T announced that they would drop two-year contracts. While AT&T's implementation takes away the ability for existing customers to sign up for two-year contracts, Verizon's does not, allowing existing Verizon customers to renew their two-year contracts.

Sprint has been planning to move away from two-year contracts for a while, first announcing the move in August 2015. However, the carrier had not announced when its implementation would take effect at the time.

Article Link: Sprint Stops Offering Two-Year Phone Contracts
  2. maxsix Suspended

Jun 28, 2015
    Western Hemisphere
    One more carrier about to expose the true premium prices that Apple charges. No more concealing the truth.
  3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, USA
    A lot of posters screamed from the mountaintops they were leaving AT&T when they announced this same things.

Where do they intend on going, exactly?
  4. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Jul 12, 2008
    Columbus, OH
  5. risercn macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2015
    I'm glad carriers in the US finally caught up with the rest of the world.
  6. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2006
    Should be interesting when Apple announces pricing for the next iPhone.
  7. chasonstone macrumors regular

Dec 24, 2010
    I'm interested in what this means for future iPhone pricing. Now that everyone will see the unsubsidized price. It will no longer be masked at 199/299 type price points. I've learned that there's a surprising number of people who don't understand that those 199/299 prices aren't the full price of the phone.
  8. JimmyHook macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2015
    Good! Apple can still say 199 etc as long as someone can get an agreement, even if only reactive
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2016 ---
    People know and love it anyway
  9. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Jun 8, 2011
    For me and many others, the "premium" price is worth it.

And besides... for those who continue to use carrier financing to purchase or lease phones, the game hasn't changed that much. Instead of the subsidization costs vaguely being applied to the bills of all postpaid customers, you're simply subsidizing the cost of your own device on a monthly basis.
  10. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68020

May 18, 2009
    Wait. Does that mean existing Verizon customers can still get subsidies via 2 year contracts?
  11. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

Aug 14, 2009
    It really won't change the subsidy; except now you will simply pay over time as a separate payment. For the phone company, this is better in that if they change the terms and conditions you would still owe the whole price of the phone, since it's a separate contract, rather than being able to walk away by refusing the change and avoiding the termination fee.
  12. scaramoosh macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2014
    How does it work in the US? Here in the UK you go to a Network's website, you see a contract, you agree to it, you get the phone and pay monthly. I got my iPhone 6s 64GB with no upfront payment, I get 20GB of Data, unlimited everything else and I pay £45 a month for it, that's £1080 over 24 months of a contract.

I thought it was a good deal considering and I'm happy.
  13. maxsix Suspended

Jun 28, 2015
    Western Hemisphere
    Actually you'd be surprised how many people not only don't know, but actually believe that the iPhone in their hands only cost $199. I've had people argue that very issue with me. It's amazing but true.
  14. thekev macrumors 603

Aug 5, 2010
    I don't think it affects them much. The plans themselves seem to be slightly lower in price. Carriers won't play as many early upgrade games, but any fees due to at termination are determined by how much is already paid off. I suspect it comes out better overall. Some people might change their buying decisions, because these things are actually separable. They can reduce their total cost much more by picking a cheaper phone or keeping their current one longer.

You might still see sales on certain models and other promotions.
  15. smithrh macrumors 68020

Feb 28, 2009
    There's also another side to the coin here - without the carriers subsidizing phones, they'll also have no leverage on what Apple offers to the consumer as far as features/functionality goes.
  16. gngan macrumors 68000

Jan 1, 2009
    You are only able to tell if it's a good deal IF you can compare it to a same plan (20GB of data and unlimited everything else). For instance, you are paying £1080 over 24 months WITH a phone. An iPhone 64 GB (Apple UK) cost £619 which means you are paying £461 for 20GB of data and unlimited everything else. Did you check whether £461 (over 24 months) can get you the same service? Or maybe more or less service?
  17. bommai macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2003
    Melbourne, FL
    I am on a group save plan with cricket. I pay $40 for two lines. My friend has 3 phones for $60. Total of $100 out of pocket. We all have iPhones. 2.5 GB per line. Unlimited voice and unlimited messages. No contract. No other fees. Simple! I used my iPhone 5s for a while. Then I sold it and got an iPhone 6s Plus sim free unlocked. That's the way to go!
  18. dampfnudel macrumors 68000

Aug 14, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Far from it. Well, maybe T-Mobile is getting closer, but as for the rest.:rolleyes:
  19. sziehr macrumors 6502

Jun 11, 2009
    Wow or the true cost of a top flight android device. but hey lets crap on apple here on an apple forum
  20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, USA
    I don't know if this realistically hurts Apple, but it does, in theory help the mid-range manufacturers.

Heck, even the Nexus 6P is less expensive than the iPhone 6S is the US.
  21. Michael Scrip, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

Michael Scrip macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2011
    But they're still not putting a giant $649 price tag next to the phone either.

I noticed Verizon has replaced the old $199/$299 price tags with their new payment plan equivalencies:

The old way was paying $199 down and the rest of your phone payment was hidden inside your monthly bill. You're right... nobody knew what the hell was going on.

But the new way is showing you exactly how much of your bill is for the phone... and how much is for service. It's separate. When you talk to the salesman... they have a worksheet where they tally up the various parts of your plan (the base voice/sms plan, the phone, the data package, etc)

And if you do pay full price for a phone... or someone gives you an old phone... you're not paying for the phone every month. Only for the service.

It actually easier to understand now.
  22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, USA
    The "Top Flight" Android device costs $550 with a screen larger than the iPhone 6S+

Soon, the only manufacturers that will dare make their base models so expensive will be Apple and Samsung.
  23. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502

Feb 7, 2006
    Apparently you enjoy leaving out Android phones that don't fit your Apple crapping narrative. The current "Top Flight" Android would be the S6 Edge+, which you're correct has a slightly bigger screen than the 6s Plus. Not sure who or where you're looking at, but for a comparable 64GB 6s Plus, it is the same exact price. You can argue the 32GB model is slightly better priced since Apple does not offer a 32GB 6s Plus....but other than that, you're flat-out wrong.
  24. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006