Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since the launch of iOS 9.3 last week, some Sprint users have been unable to connect to LTE networks, according to reports on Twitter and reddit. After updating, affected users say their iPhones will only connect 3G, and there appears to be no clear fix with resets and reinstalls not solving the problem for most people.

According to one reddit user in California, he's having issues when his iPhone attempts to connect to a specific LTE band. Affected users are frustrated with the connectivity problems, with some reporting an inability to receive any messages or updates when not on Wi-Fi. Most users seeing problems appear to be using Apple's latest devices.
I'm having data issues as well on my 6s Plus in the LA/OC market. Over the past three days I've been troubleshooting on my 80 mile round trip commute via Field Test and Speedtest. I've figured out that data transfer is broken when connected to Clear B41. No problems on Sprint B41, B25 or EVDO. I've created a ticket with Sprint Care, and supposedly they have notified their network team. I'm awaiting a response.

I've talked to Apple as well, they did a diagnostic test that came up normal...of course it did, because I was not connected to Clear B41 at the time. At this point, the only course of action is to either disable LTE or revert back to 9.2.1 before Apple stops signing it. I'm not sure if this has to do with the WiMAX shutdown in my market, but I have noticed that the TAC went from 9xxx to 3xxxx after the shutdown. I've restored three times via iTunes to no avail.
As of this afternoon, Sprint has begun sending out text messages to its subscriber base, acknowledging the data connection problem. Sprint says that it is aware of the issue and "working quickly" on a fix.

sprintdataconnectionissues.jpg

Apple this morning released an iOS 9.3.1 update with a fix for an unrelated web linking bug, and while it's not clear if the new update fixes the Sprint issue, it's unlikely as Sprint's text messages were sent out after the update was released.

Update 4/1: According to Sprint, the data connection issues affecting users were resolved this morning.

Article Link: Some Sprint Users Unable to Connect to LTE After iOS 9.3 Update, Fix in the Works [Update: Resolved]

Reactions: kylelerner

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
So much for being the "most stable release of an update" ever.
How many betas did they release again? Apple software glitches are getting ridiculous.
This is probably because of the Sprint Carrier Update.
Sprint has begun sending out text messages to its subscriber base, acknowledging the data connection problem. Sprint says that it is aware of the issue and "working quickly" on a fix.

(Thanks, Kyle!)

Shows that the Apple Bashers aren't actually reading the articles.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Im a sprint user- I notice the data speed sucked but TBH I just chalked it up to Sprint's network! So- cool! I guess it doesn't really suck as bad as I had resigned myself to believing... :)
[doublepost=1459468131][/doublepost]
Sprint is awful period. Bet this is a desperate attempt by Sprint at Scapegoating or an excuse for that

My thoughts exactly lol
how did we find out, did someone accidentally use Sprint? (I kid, I kid)
[doublepost=1459464319][/doublepost]
Geez we think alike. Want to grab a coffee?

Guys! That's not nice!! I'm a Sprint customer!

.... and I just assumed the network sucked as usual...

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
I had been reporting issues with LTE not working since the second beta... With each release I reported the issue again. Of course, I wasn't as detailed as this person was in diagnosing the problems. Interestingly enough, i'm also in LA County and didn't get the text message.

Edit: to clarify: I reported the issue multiple times using the Sprint Zone app to Sprint. I did report the issue to Apple as well and request they follow up with the carrier for a fix... Sprint Zone is the way to go when reporting signal issues.

Last edited:

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I was having this problem this week. I was getting no service or 1x or 3G. Even after toggling airplane mode and rebooting no LTE.
But here's the kicker. I'm on iOS 8.4.1 on my iPhone 6.
So it was a sprint problem. Not iOS 9.3.

SgtPepper23

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Los Angeles, California
Sounds like not to many beta users have sprint
you may be right, but i know i made sure to submit bug reports about this...

Well that sucks for their customers because Sprint's 3G network is truly awful.
you have no idea...

This is most likely due to Sprint's carrier update which just happened to be sent at the same time as 9.3 - not much to do with Apple.
i can confirm this, based on my experiences.

last night, i reverted back to 9.2.1, however, it retained the faulty carrier update. and since i didn't want to bother with a factory reset, i went back to 9.3... this morning when i saw 9.3.1, i was just a bit hopeful that it'd been fixed, just my hopes up...
interesting to note, my LTE was working in South Orange County this morning, but as i returned up to LA it started deteriorating to the point where i had to shut off my 3G again... Speaking with Sprint Engineers in a bit if i can

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Im a sprint user- I notice the data speed sucked but TBH I just chalked it up to Sprint's network! So- cool! I guess it doesn't really suck as bad as I had resigned myself to believing... :)

Guys! That's not nice!! I'm a Sprint customer!

.... and I just assumed the network sucked as usual...

Trust me it STILL Sucks. Anyone and every I've dealt with who uses it updates or no updates has issues. Every past Sprint experience I've ( and those I've known ) have had has sucked.

So still convinced their network is trash
[doublepost=1459476142][/doublepost]
It's Sprint's fault cause they are Sprint.

This lol
[doublepost=1459476281][/doublepost]
It's not an Apple problem. It's a Sprint problem. hence the sprint apology.
You get what you pay for when you go Sprint...

Yep pretty much lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.