spymac open discussion

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by joetronic, Jun 21, 2005.

1. joetronic macrumors 6502

do you think we need something like this here? Sounds like it would be a good idea to go over a few things. If this has already been posted i apologize, a search came up empty.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

why ? your not saying macrumors is like spymac are you lol
    :rolleyes:

3. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

lol, not at all, thats why I'm here 6 hours a day, not there. And I'm not saying that we have problems, this is a wonderfull place and community. Its just always nice to go ever things now and again.

lol, I did not mean to offend anyone by compairing us to spymac, lol.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That seems to me to be over concerns with the site. That's what this forum is for and if there are any issues you need to discuss either post them here or pm a mod.

We're not like spymac in a lot of ways and we don't offer webservices and email, so its not the same thing.

Was there anything specific you were concerned about?

D

5. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply.

regarding your post, there is nothing in particular. I think I have raised a few blood levels. I apologize. I don't mean to come off as a jack-a**, it was not my intent.

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Reading that spymac comment again just say's they are having problems with spam on there e-mail services that they sell.

not too sure about the forum members over there but i get the impression that they have alot come and go and leave spam messages like macrumors sort of gets ( mods do a great job ) , but thinking about it why would we want any macrumors email services ? i would'nt

i can not remember the last time i have seen a FREE IPOD link over here or any other iffy links either

but that's just me lol

never liked spymac anyway :p too cluterd

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

On forums.macosxhints.com they put in a limitation where new posters (i.e., posters with less then 3 posts) have to have their posts approved before they show up in the forums. This has cut spam to virtually nothing. Of course, this would prove to be prohibitive here because there are many more posters/newcomers/threads/etc.

No, I don't think this site needs anything like that. With the influx of new mods, things have been pretty clean.

8. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

But along those lines, MR has always been moderated very well. To commemorate the accomplishment, I will share a favorite quote of mine that I feel very much represents the Mods here at MR.

"If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

Keep it up.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ah, it wasn't a dig at the mods, it was more a dig at the sheer volume of posts. Mainly that it's understandably difficult to be able to keep up with all that (spam and whatnot) in a timely fashion. With the addition of some new blood, there's more warm bodies to fill the gap.

10. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

No, I didn't think it was. It was just a positive comment. :)

11. mac-er macrumors 65816

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, exactly - if you don't get noticed or cause work for the mods, then there aren't going to be any problems :D

Its still unfortunate how many people get banned, and its not just the spammers....

D

13. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Meh, I've always hated Spymac: like liketom stated it's just too cluttered, they try to do so many things like news, email etc... (bit like Yahoo IMO, I use Google)

llama :)

14. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Indeed. And I hope with the next version of their site they get the idea that sometimes less is more (cliché, I know; forgive me?).