Spymac Reunion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by larryiskewl, Sep 26, 2004.

1. larryiskewl macrumors newbie

larryiskewl

There happy this thread is for mertzen and many other "gone" Spymac refugees to talk about the S-Scandal™ and to read the famous letter:

Mertzen,

Thank you for improving Spymac throughout the months. Your input, ideas and dedication were always interesting and appreciated. However, recently there has been a growing number of complaints registered against you. We've never seen this type of feedback about a moderator, and this notice is to inform you that your moderator powers have been removed. It would be disappointing if you did not stay around as the valuable member that you are.

Kevin April
    Spymac Network, Inc.

The truth is out there and Spymac supresses it by banning ME for uncovering the dirt that is Spymac.com!

[​IMG]

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Glad I never bothered with the spymac forums...

3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

What dirt did you uncover at spymac?

I tried spymac out for about a week but left because of the poor interface, the slow site and other reasons.

4. stealthy macrumors member

stealthy

It's just been an interesting couple of days.

I'd encourage you to look at some threads in Site Comments over there and draw your own conclusions.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

woah, things are really bad over there, you only have to read the thread subjects to see that. What's happened over there!?

6. stealthy macrumors member

stealthy

Those aren't even all of them. There have been so many locked & deleted threads in the past 48 hours.

Some have dubbed it MertzenGate (tm).

I'm not very happy about the whole thing. I really liked spymac.

:confused:

7. HowieBerry macrumors newbie

HowieBerry

Decided I would come and join you here. Yes, I came up with the Mertzengate™ name. Very sad state of affairs going on over there.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Arn leaves, and all of a sudden there's a member recruitment drive soliciting ex-SpyMac members.

Seems SpyMac is making it a rather easy sale.

9. philfrombklyn macrumors newbie

philfrombklyn

hello

hello all, the mertzengate thing is making me lean over here, not sure if im gonna stay or not, nice to see some friendly faces from spymac over here

10. HowieBerry macrumors newbie

HowieBerry

There are a lot of rude people making it increasingly difficult to have a nice time there. The site was just updated with a load of adverts for their services on every page. That may be the final push for me... :(

11. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

use Adblock over there, there's even a thread on spymac about how they're all using it...

haha

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Stick around, I used to post and visit the SpyMac forums for a short while until discovering the forums here. It's much better and more mature here. Therefore I left SpyMac and lurked, then posted, here.

13. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Wow, crazy stuff there. Well Let me be the first MacRumors member to Welcome all of the former SpyMac members! Glad to have you! Several of our most prolific posters have been all occupied, so I for one am glad to see the fresh blood.

Welcome especially to Mertzen. You know if you kick in a small amount of $$ around here the let you into the private forum.. ;) Not quite a mod, but still better than nothing. :D

14. svejar macrumors member

Yes, welcome to all of you! Those threads at SpyMac's kept me occupied for a couple of hours. :p

15. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

WOW Howie you came over here too? Great to see you, I hope you guys stay and have a good time here. This is a great place to ask questions and get answers, everyone here is pretty nice :)

16. jabex macrumors newbie

Yesterday I was thinking to myself, "hey, what's new on Spymac lately?"
    Dramabomb. :eek:

I guess they do have a mini-revolution every once in awhile over one thing or another. The logo changed, people were typing in Chinese, the site got revamped, etc etc. I figured maybe it was time I get my mac discussion needs fulfilled somewhere else.

So anyways, hello Macrumors. Hello ex-pat Spymacers. Anyone who remembers when Atari used to post on Spymac raise your hand. :D

17. stealthy macrumors member

stealthy

I downloaded it last night. It works rather nicely. ;)

What really irritated me, was apparently even PAID MEMBERS are seeing these ads! I'm sure (?) that must be unintentional. Time will tell.

I am not a paid member over there, I have no use for The Wheel so...

18. stealthy macrumors member

stealthy

Hi jabex - NY too huh? :)

I remember Atari posting.

19. HowieBerry macrumors newbie

HowieBerry

Thank you! Yep - I think that I need to explore other avenues...

20. HowieBerry macrumors newbie

HowieBerry

Larry - it's not just you that has been banned. Linux_The_Kid_FQRS has just been banned. There was a bug in their forums which somehow allowed him to lock threads.

Now you might say he should have known better for utilising it, but if they write buggy forums...

He also tried to contact Nostradamus (one of the head honchos of Spymac, for those who don't know), but got no reply. Now, he is banned.

This totally sucks.

21. stealthy macrumors member

stealthy

Nice reward for finding a potentially devistating bug in their software.

They should be paying him $. ;)

22. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I went to check spymac out a couple of weeks ago but left straight away. It seemed to be nothing apart from ads pushing wheel, hosting etc (just checked again and it seems they've changed it a little, so some of your complaints must have gotten through! But Windows Lite on the front page, come on - how old is that?! ;) ). And after checking the Site Comments I'm just shocked, how did things get to that stage?! Makes for interesting reading though!

Anyway just extending a welcome out to the SpyMac exiles, it seems like we're getting the good ones and am sure you guys will find a good home here!

23. LadyCat macrumors newbie

Also from Spymac

The newly over-crowded Ads over there starts to annoy me. I am checking this place out. :)

24. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

wow, there's a lot of you moving over here, welcome one and all :D

Maybe we should all chip in and put an ad banner up at Spymac advertising MacRumors :D :p

25. jabex macrumors newbie

Those were the days.

Cheers to the NY crowd. We should get together sometime - I still have one of those goofy ID cards from when Mertzen tried to organize the meet up at the SOHO store for WWDC (last year).